Influence of LORs during pre-interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennisguy896

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody- I am under review at several schools, but I am still waiting for my research LOR. Should I be worried, or do LORs come more into play in the final decision stage? Thanks a lot for any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

tennisguy896 said:
Hey everybody- I am under review at several schools, but I am still waiting for my research LOR. Should I be worried, or do LORs come more into play in the final decision stage? Thanks a lot for any insight.

Some schools will issue an interview invitation with the understanding that the LOR will arrive before the interview date. Still, I have seen the lack of a particular LOR (from a lab) slow down the adcom member reading the application (they hold the application waiting for the letter rather than making a decision "pending receipt of letter"). If it isn't in by Sept 1 you should be worried.

I feel like most schools look at them before giving out interviews. So you should probably try to get that in as soon as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. Would it matter that my research LOR is not one of my required letters, it's an optional one? Some schools like Pritzker don't even know what your optional LORs are, or if you intend on sending them any. You wouldn't get turned down for an interview just because you are missing an optional research LOR, would you? Thanks again for your help.

LizzyM said:
Some schools will issue an interview invitation with the understanding that the LOR will arrive before the interview date. Still, I have seen the lack of a particular LOR (from a lab) slow down the adcom member reading the application (they hold the application waiting for the letter rather than making a decision "pending receipt of letter"). If it isn't in by Sept 1 you should be worried.
I'm still waiting on a couple of people to send the LORs, no response to emails and voice mails. Might happen only after I get back to school end of August, so how critical is this Sept 1 deadline, considering that the files of the people who take the August MCAT won't be complete until much later?

uvce said:
I'm still waiting on a couple of people to send the LORs, no response to emails and voice mails. Might happen only after I get back to school end of August, so how critical is this Sept 1 deadline, considering that the files of the people who take the August MCAT won't be complete until much later?

Adcoms start reading applications in July or August. How do you think that they select applicants for September interviews? If your file is complete except for LORs, your application might be read or it might get dropped down to the bottom of the pile until the LORs arrive. Did you apply promptly only to have your application set aside until mid or late September??? People whose LORs get submitted late do get in but your chances of getting an interview slot have got to be better if you are complete & read earlier.

LizzyM said:
Adcoms start reading applications in July or August. How do you think that they select applicants for September interviews? If your file is complete except for LORs, your application might be read or it might get dropped down to the bottom of the pile until the LORs arrive. Did you apply promptly only to have your application set aside until mid or late September??? People whose LORs get submitted late do get in but your chances of getting an interview slot have got to be better if you are complete & read earlier.
Would you advise getting the LOR packet sent out even though it might not have all the required recommendation letters, and then get it sent again when all of them are in? I have letters from a couple of professors and a summer research advisor already, but my premed advisor is not responding - some schools specifically ask for that.

uvce said:
Would you advise getting the LOR packet sent out even though it might not have all the required recommendation letters, and then get it sent again when all of them are in? I have letters from a couple of professors and a summer research advisor already, but my premed advisor is not responding - some schools specifically ask for that.

It can't hurt, it could help.