Info about Phil MedSkul needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ricksakti

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am searching information of several medskul that i want to go. However, i encountered some difficulties. Most of their websites are under constructions.
I need information about the first donation i have to paid ( i heard it is expensive) and the school tuition of FEU, UE, St. Tomas, and MCU.
I really appreciate those who can help me in this.

Members don't see this ad.

ricksakti said:
I am searching information of several medskul that i want to go. However, i encountered some difficulties. Most of their websites are under constructions.
I need information about the first donation i have to paid ( i heard it is expensive) and the school tuition of FEU, UE, St. Tomas, and MCU.

try checking out the Fil med schools thread on this same forum ;)

i have read all the threads, but i could not get any infos that i want.
i just found that UST has $10,000 of donation. is there anyone know about the average school fee of med skuls in phils? And is there any class on saturday?

Members don't see this ad :)
it's usually $10,000. but in my school (San Beda), they charge only half of that. you can even pay it thru installment (in my school).

ricksakti said:
i have read all the threads, but i could not get any infos that i want.
i just found that UST has $10,000 of donation. is there anyone know about the average school fee of med skuls in phils? And is there any class on saturday?

in UST theres the $10,000 donation fee for foreign students, and then on average the tuition is PHP76,000 and it goes up a little every year.
in UST there are no classes on saturdays (at least so far) :)

Thank you for the answers. How about FEU, UE, and De la salle do they have class on saturday?

Schools have different fee structures. But many of the "big" Manila schools charge a foreign surcharge of $10,000 dollars.

But not all schools follow this. There are over thirty medschools in the Philippines. Some have up-front surcharges ranging from about $6,000 to $10,000. Some have no up-front surcharge, but will charge you an extra 50%, kind of similar to an "out-of-state" surcharge in the States.

Some schools have neither, and charge foreign students the same as they charge local students. CDC, to name one, only charges foreign students an extra 15,000 Pesos per semester. Pesos, not dollars.

The up-front surcharge is often called a "donation". This, of course, is blatantly untrue. We should encourage schools to stop using the phrase "donation" because it is untrue. It is simply an extra fee. Using the phrase "donation" is irrational and unprofessional. It creates the impression to outsiders that somehow people are bribing their way into schools.

The up-front surcharge is understandable at state run schools. These are supported by the local taxpayer and there is no reason why they should support the education of foreign students.

But it's a different story at private schools which are not taxpayer supported. For them, this is simply a money-making tool.

Going to medschool in the Philippines is a major decision. Paying a surcharge up-front, rather than spread out over four years is, frankly speaking, a bit of a scam, as it allows no room for a foreign student who realizes after one year that they are not capable (for whatever reason) of finishing medschool in the Philippines. They drop and the school keeps all of the up-front fee.

So, do your research, and make your decisons carefully. Don't be afraid to make a few phone calls.

Is there any FEU student here? How much is your skul fee? Do you have any class on saturdai?

ricksakti said:
Is there any FEU student here? How much is your skul fee? Do you have any class on saturdai?

I graduated from FEU, I don't know about the donation but all I know is that there are no classes on saturdays.

I would also like to take this oppurtunity to congratulate the new Local Board Passers who ever you may be and from where ever you are from!

Hey, do still know any contact adress in FEU? I tried many times, but i could not reach them.

ricksakti said:
Hey, do still know any contact adress in FEU? I tried many times, but i could not reach them.

-hi, im a student of feu-nrmf. the tuition fee is around 68k pesos per semester. anf fremitus is right. no school for saturdays. anyways, try www.feu-alumni.com. i think this site is more updated. and in case that you choose feu in the future. you will be in a situation that you never had before. coz feu has a reaputation of being the most toxic med school in the phil.

I was just wondering how difficult it is to get into a Philippine medical school? I have been to Manila numerous times, but just never had the idea that I may have to consider attending a foreing med school. So I really never visited the schools while there. As I was looking over some school websites, they say that you need the NMAT as a certain percentage depending on the school you apply to. In terms of GPA and grades, the schools really don't mention anything specific, except for a few like UST that says we won't consider anyone with failures of more than 9 units or something within that number. Does anyone know if this is true? I failed two classes, which I retook and passed and those failures add to like 9 units. Also, does anyone know of any specific GPA or grades Philippine schools look for? I remember reading a few posts where students were accepted and had multiple failures but retook the failed classes. Any info would be great. Thanks. :)

In general, Filipino medicals are non-competitive in terms of gaining acceptance. In plain English, it is easy to get admitted to many of the medical schools in Manila. This does not mean that they are bad schools. But a thorough reading of the posts here will reveal that for socio-economic reasons, many Filipinos are training as nurses and avoiding medicine. Applications to medical schools have fallen dramatically. Obviously, competiton for places in medical schools has fallen also.

Not all medical schools are as demanding in their specific entry requirements as they were a few years ago. Many of the requirements listed on websites resemble "wishlists" rather than absolute requirements. The falling number of application has necessitated a more flexible approach in judging an applicants qualification for acceptance. And a transcript from a US school with a few failures will not be viewed in a poor light...unless the rest of your application is total crap also.

And all sins are forgiven if you place highly on the NMAT.

DrTennis said:
I was just wondering how difficult it is to get into a Philippine medical school? I have been to Manila numerous times, but just never had the idea that I may have to consider attending a foreing med school. So I really never visited the schools while there. As I was looking over some school websites, they say that you need the NMAT as a certain percentage depending on the school you apply to. In terms of GPA and grades, the schools really don't mention anything specific, except for a few like UST that says we won't consider anyone with failures of more than 9 units or something within that number. Does anyone know if this is true? I failed two classes, which I retook and passed and those failures add to like 9 units. Also, does anyone know of any specific GPA or grades Philippine schools look for? I remember reading a few posts where students were accepted and had multiple failures but retook the failed classes. Any info would be great. Thanks. :)

I agree with Saipan that most Phil. med schools are not competitive in terms of admission and most schools will admit you regardless of your NMAT score or GPA (as long as you have a Bachelors degree). Also, most of the website of these schools are not updated and as Saipan said , some requirements are like "wish lists".

However, some schools are still competitive (especially UST) and they require higher NMAT scores/grades and the required subjects.
Also admission will not guarantee that you will finish the course. Some schools are notorious for accepting a bigger number of first years and "weeding out" every year (FEU used to be notorious for this). Some schools like St. Luke's are also requiring a 5th year (for rotating internship) as part of the course.

Thanks for the information. I will definitely take more time to monitor these forums for more about Philippine med schools. My biggest obstacle is convincing my parents to let me go to school in the Philippines. This is partly cause my dad went to med school at MCU (c/o 1974) and he did not pass any boards here in the States. He is just gave up and attended PA school instead at UC Davis and has been a PA for over a decade now. I guess his experience with the licensure exams influence his attitude in terms of me attending med school back home. Anyways, thanks again for the info.

DrTennis said:
Thanks for the information. I will definitely take more time to monitor these forums for more about Philippine med schools. My biggest obstacle is convincing my parents to let me go to school in the Philippines. This is partly cause my dad went to med school at MCU (c/o 1974) and he did not pass any boards here in the States. He is just gave up and attended PA school instead at UC Davis and has been a PA for over a decade now. I guess his experience with the licensure exams influence his attitude in terms of me attending med school back home. Anyways, thanks again for the info.
While it is true that medical schools in the Phil. will not prepare you for USMLE specifically, you can prepare for it independently even while in Med School. You grew up in the American system of education so you may be more familiar with the type of questions in the USMLE compared to your father. However, you still have to study very hard while in med school in the Philippines for your basic medical education (nuts and bolts). Try to see if you can get into one of the American Medical school first (best option). Even a DO school is preferrable. If you can afford it, some Caribbean schools can also prepare you well (St. George's, AUC, Ross, Saba). The Philippines should be your last choice but not necessarily a bad choice. Most Fil-Ams pass the USMLE as they are more determined to have a second chance to be a doctor. You just have to go for it and work/study hard if you really want to become a doctor.
As one of the frequent posters in this thread said (Spartandoc), if he studied that hard in pre-med, he would be in an American med school.

DrTennis said:

I heard that mcu is a really bad school. It had a lawsuit a few years ago...something with the boards.I know I remember seeing it as being one of the worst medical schools as per US creditations, etc. Just thought I'd let u know. If you go to the better schools, you definitely will have a chance of passing the boards.

ricksakti said:

You may want to check this site..http://202.164.178.74/news_old/.