Info about Problem Based Learning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tazman

7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to Mercer University School of Medicine which uses a problem-based learning curriculum. They don't have any lectures. I have never really been exposed to that style of curriculum, but I was impressed with what the staff had to say about it. The students there love it and have been doing very well on the board exams.

I was wondering what some of you guys thought about PBL and/or if you've had any experience with it.

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone has their won personal opinion about PBL. Personally, I hate it and used it to scratch off several schools from my application list last year. Then I got sucker punched @ UASOM when I showed up for the first day of Gross Anatomy and the course director had changed the format to PBL. Oh well.

I think PBL is a great idea once you have a foundation of knowledge to work with, but I think it is a terrible way to try to build a foundation. IMHO it is much more appropriate in the 2nd year than in the 1st year of med school. Like I said, everyone has their own opinions and I'm sure someone will post one in disagreement to mine.

I think if you are very disciplined, PBL would be good for you. I personally think I will do better with such a curriculum, because I should be able to make myself study during all that time after tutorial groups each day (I think I remember them saying they get done at 12 each day!).

When I took immunology as an undergrad, we did a similar thing where we had small groups and went over case studies, and that was really helpful to me. I think the integration of the basic sciences into patient cases will be more helpful to me when I actually am a Dr. and I have to pull from my scientific knowledge to figure out what is wrong w/ a pt and how to treat him/her.BUT, I don't think it's for everyone, but mainly those who are independent learners who can make themselves study and who do well in small group settings.