info for DMU-OMC '05

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

macman

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought this might be helpful for incoming first years: (a little FAQ action)

Whats up with housing?:
a: Unfortunately that blue book they gave you is not so hot-I live at 3000 Grand and pay big money-the best apartments are not in the blue book-however I really feel like living near school is key-we had MANY tests with a blizzard as a side dish and those that had to drive in waited in traffic and sweated bullets while I sat on my couch and crammed at 7 am. And if your car breaks down you can still get to school! (I have a friend that needs a roomate in his condo-e-mail me)

Do I have to be albert einstein to pass first year? I wasn't a sciene major, am I screwed?
a: No and No. But you do have to be disciplined and willing to adapt your study methods-I had friends that liked to study only one way and took hits as a result-the better you can adapt the better-every professor is different-even within the same class-listen to 2nd years and filter through the bad info e.g. DO03 told us that for the first path exam just to stody the questions in a certain review book-a good chunk of people did this and paid the price--
I was a non-science major and ended up taking all my prereq's at a community college-this had not hurt me-I , unlike many classmates, had not seen a single first year course before (biochem, etc.) and I did fine--of course there were people that had material before and (in my opinion) did not put in the time and didn't do well
I was scared ****less the first few weeks and that probably helped me do well-itis tough to know what to expect and your experience will be different than ours--find yourself a 'deepthroat' in the 2nd year class, someone that has sound advice-and that will put you at an advantage

Is it competitive there?
a: yes and no--some people here are very competitve-however people see through that **** fast and you wont make too many friends-help and be helped people! The second years helped us quite a bit and I was in a study group that saved my ass a few times--we will set up a BBQ near the beginning of the year for you guys--GO TO THIS (and things like it)-at a party like this in the beginning of the year a made friends that right now are my support net. Admittedly our class is more a commuter class than DO03 but hopefully that will change

What books should I buy?
a: you will NOT have time to read textbooks-at least not for all classes--review books are in my opinion a better choice-concise and board driven--at least dont buy the book right away-plus you can use that leftover money for BEER!
definite books (myopiniongrain of salt):
Anatomy: "anatomy recall",Netters, also Rohen
Histo: paulsen review book (saved my ass)
Biochem: none (notes rock)
Neuro: none for me but individual decision
Phys: Kingsley (neuro phys.) is actually and excellent book and if you buy it during neuro it will help
PD: I didn't buy-look at friends-and I split a medical kit with a friend b/c we were in diffrent lab groups and saved beaucoup $$$
Pharm: "Pharm recall" buy this please!
Path: none
OMM: Unless you are a jaded M.D. didn't work out student-get a portable table -these will be sold by UAAO at beginning of year

What clubs are good?
a: tough call-I am actually very impressed with our clubs--total personal deciscion though

Is Des Moines fun?
a: yea, it is fine-it depends on your attitiude--I like to spend me weekends at a good restaurant /brewpub/bar and des moines has plenty--nightclubs are another matter-not exactly NYC but whaddityouexpect?

Does first year suck?
A: I actually had fun but there was plenty of stress-attitude is everything and good friends; I know A students that are miserable and C students loving life
--I enjoyed but wouldn't want to do it again-kind of like drinking too much whiskey

Please give me more q's--I feel as though I gained some useful knowledge this year in terms of coming in without a heavy science backround and feeling intimidated and exceeding my own expectations---reading comp is very important -if you do anything this summer read heavy literature to get your brain torqued up!

Good luck and let me know if I can help!

email to [email protected] or just post it

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for those wonderful suggestions.... you may want to join some of us at the thread called "DMU-OMC Class of 2005"

So you suggest a portable table.... is this worth the mula?

BTW, answer my question about the portable table for OMM at the DMU-OMC Class of 2005... if you please.... I have more questions to ask of you so get ready :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Popoy - I have read many of your other posts-I look forward to meeting you-you sound like a you'll make a great contribution to the DMU-OMC community

I think the table is a good idea-especially for you-you sound interested in OMM and I think you'll love it-nothing beats breaking out the OMM table at a party! You will be able to make your friends , family feel better AS A FIRST YEAR STUDENT that is tough to match!

oh-also-i started this thread cause the other one was reallllly long and I though a fresh strart would be good!

talk to you tomorow

That's cool dude.... :D

How much is a portable table usually? How much is it from the UAAO?

I ask because there's one on sale in the bookstore a couple of weeks ago and I want to know if I'll get jipped (sp?) if I get it from this person....

Thanks for the personal comment, I look forward to doing as much as I can at DMU .... Tomorrow I'm actually going to campus and find out more about what's going on with the med ed program at Metropolitan Medical Center....

I'm digressing.... So how much is a table? :cool:

hey macman,

i know u said ur cc background didnt hurt you....but did you have to really really really kick ass on the mcat? Also, what were the avg stats of people u know that got in? im thinkin about DMU as a possibilty...

thanks

Hey there macman... you still in DSM right now? Sorry to have to disagree with you here but I'm going to offer my own opinion on the tables.... There are enough tables around the school for students to use and practice on. I got mine (very fortunately) for free, but I don't think that the $350-$400 investment is really necessary at this point in time.

For what its worth, Josh

To answer two points:

1) Its is true that the weaker your undergrad schools reputation the more you have to prove on the MCAT-My undergrad degree (in econ.) however was at a very reputable undergrad and even though it was social science-A's are A's-but to answer your question I did do very well on the MCATS-I believe the prep course I took was invaluble
-- does that answer your Q?--I know many classmates sub 27 so at this school med. experience much more important

2) jsdmu -- the table thing is definetely a personal choice, I did not buy one - but have one from my mom in chiro school- I use it 2-3 times a week--yes you can do well in OMM without one- but I believe it is difficult to get experience on non-student patients without one--popoy sounded to me like the kind of guy that will get into OMM-I have freinds that have not taken the tables out of their boxes and I have friends whose tables are well-used. Working on a non-classmate is a totally different experience and I think it can accelerate your knowledge of OMM. I dont disagree with your assessment of your own needs-that would be ridiculus, and as a shot out to Popoy--wait till you get here to worry about getting a table--why dont you buy jsdmu's for that matter?!

jsdmu-yes i'm still in DSM, but leaving soon for vacation time-thanks for your contributions to next years class!

Yup.... I'm the type.... I have a semi-eye on the fellowship, but who knows....

I'll end up buying a table anyway.... it's just that the one being sold at the bookstore by a student was already bought, thus I'll have to wait for UAAO....

Did you '04's check out the message board.... something about your SPAL assignments being emailed to you and if you have any questions call someone (I forgot her name....)....

Later y'all

Here's a question:

DO we get anything medically related free items from DMU during our first year? (i.e. stethoscope, scrubs, etc.)

I know from jsdmu that we get the white coat free....

Hey JP, One of the student groups organizes the purchasing of medical items (stethoscopes, otoscope, etc.) that you will need for Physical Diagnosis class. They will sell these packages at the end of the first semester. Again, I got mine hand me down style.... but I know that many of the third year students who leave sell theirs when they leave for rotations because most hospitals and clinics have them available. You will need these things for PD though, so you'll have to get your hands on this stuff eventually.

Mac, I didn't mean to contradict what you said about the tables, just offering my own insight. As my significant other is not here in DSM with me, I rarely use my table... still going to hang onto it though. I know from many of my classmates whos significant others are living with them, that they use their tables a lot more... just a personal observation. ;)

There's an idea Josh :D

Cool thanks always for the insight....

Members don't see this ad :)
Books are ready in Matthew's....

I guess I shouldn't buy them yet.... When do most student's buy their books anyway? After a couple of days of classes or during orientation or during some other times?

Macman,

Thank you for the advice. I'm coming down for good in a few weeks, so drop me an email, and I'd love to buy you a beer (before the debt sets in). I really appreciate the advice you have given.

Popoy- you are a nut! Does the word ritalin sound familiar? Just Kidding...But your high energy levels should come in handy this year...Most people buy books during orientation, wait to see what the 3rd years are selling first--why not buy Netters for half-price? You can aslo post a sign indicating what books you want.

KidT- I will take you up on that- though I leave town monday for chicago and then go home to MA get married- I will be back on the second day of orientation- I will be at some the social events during orientation- look for the skinny guy whos 6'6" :D :eek: :cool:

Mac, will you be wearing your biking spandex??? Just kidding, have a great time in Chicago and congrats on the marriage!

Bells are ringing for macman.... :D

CONGRATULATIONS DUDE!!!

Look for a 5'8 Pilipino dude with glasses.... I'm sure you won't have trouble finding little old ME!!! :

Looking forward to meeting you as well.... Thanks for all the advice.... This energy level of mines comes from being in DES MOINES, IOWA or the lack of doing anything else (LOL) :D

macman

I'm not sure if you'll get this....

Are you using loans at DMU?

yes-and even though financial aid promotes wells-fargo (in my opinion) I would recommend the other loans offered by ISLC (sp.) through firstar bank and two other banks-financial aid offers info on these too, but you have to ask--these loans offer both waived stafford fees, plus a 2.5 % interest rate deduction after 4 years of on time repayment--wells fargo does not have the interest thing--

my two cents

macman :rolleyes:

I have a question guys. How is the incoming 2005 class looking in terms of women?
BTW the 6'6 skinny freak is the **** in OMM.

thanks for the compliment ryanpj--I just got home (MA) after being in chicago for a week at the AOA house of delegates-it was an interesting week

If any more DO '05ers have anymore questions I'll be logging in every few days

-tmac :cool:

Thanks, my man. I'll see you in another week.

You hear that, fellas?!?!? Around the corner!

For now I'm pretty dry on questions....I'm just waiting to get started.... But surely I'll ask if a question arise....

Thanks again for offering your suggestions and advice...

ohhh.... here's a question, my wife came across the Sam's Club website and they were selling a "massage table" for $200.... This is much, much cheaper than the price for an OMM table.... So what's the difference?

I notice that the massage table has a small step on it as well as a head rest for the "client" to put their faces on so they can still breath (did that make sense?). Anyway.... So have any feedbacks on the difference on the tables?

Popoy--the problem with a massage table may be that there is too much padding-while in the world of massage you want the client to fall asleep ( :)) in OMM if the table has too much cushion all the energy you direct at the patient gets lost in the fluff---you wont need a table right away - I would seriously wait to see what will be on sale in terms of both tables and books

also-when I said I was home, I meant massachusetts, not Iowa, my parents home--I will be back in Des Moines the second day of orientation- I was hoping to be back in time to welcome all '05 ers but my honeymoon got in the way :)

I will see if I can jump in during orientation and speak to the class as I will not be there for the student council session on tues.

-tmac ;)

Dude!!!

Honeymoon is more important... ;)

You go chill and have a bubbly bath and a bubbly champagne.... We'll see you when we see you... :D

Have fun and thanks again for the response, I really appreciate it....