Info on Medical transcriptionist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ebete

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has info on medical transcript. The hospital where I used to work at had a few medical students and residents that were doing that throughout school, and said was easy. Where did you get certified, is it worth it? How much do you make?
Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think as long as you can understand the medical jargon and lingo, you can put it down in the computer.

Everytime a doctor, PA, NP, etc. finishes up with a patient and discharges them, they call into a central database and 'say' everything that was recorded on paper and what the diagnosis and prognosis was. The hospital transcriptionists then listen to the messages, type the info verbatim into the database, thus documenting the words.

It pays a little higher than the min hourly, but if you're a student they may have some special wages worked out.

:thumbup:

I'm actually a little curious about this too. Do they use regular keyboards or are they like court stenographers with specialized machines?

After listening to physicians dictate their notes and dictating a few myself, I think it would drive me mad to have to listen to that all day.