Info on Publishing my first paper?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FastLane051

Avid Pre-Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I know this will probably sound like a dumb question but how does one go about publishing a research paper?
- this is my first one

I know there are different kinds and I have one that does not involve a study but research.
I am still working on it but its on genetic engineering and I would like to do some research but much later.

How do I find the best scientific journal also?

Can anyone help me with this?
Please constructive comments only

Members don't see this ad.

Many of the good journals require payment for publishing. It still has to be reviewed by editors to see if it's even worthy of publishing also. There are some "open" journals that don't require payment and I think they are less popular. I can't give you specifics in terms of names. Google it. I'm sure you'll find something or ask a professor at a university.

Ok, I know this will probably sound like a dumb question but how does one go about publishing a research paper?
- this is my first one

I know there are different kinds and I have one that does not involve a study but research.
I am still working on it but its on genetic engineering and I would like to do some research but much later.

How do I find the best scientific journal also?

Can anyone help me with this?
Please constructive comments only

Well, the best person to explain this would be the person who you're doing research for, who'll be able to talk about what journals would be appropriate, and it depends on if you're doing it for a student journal or a research journal. Your PI will be able to explain this in much better detail, and will guide you along, and if you can convince this person to put you on as first author, even better.

Unless you're writing this article for a student-referred journal, you won't stand a chance of having a singly authored journal article in any kind of journal unless it's really, really low ranked, especially if you're an undergrad, and even then they will expect that your PI will be included in the authorship.