Info on UMKC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeeyo987

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, my name is shan. I wanted to know if UMKC was a public or private school, what was the cost for the school itself for the 6 year program, medical program, and undergraduate program, and finally how well this school ranks compared to other med schools around the country. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Public school, Univ of Missouri system, don't know about costs. Ranks poorly compared to traditional med schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
UMKC is hard to compare to other medical schools because it only accepts people straight out of high school and not college. So I think a lot of your questions are hard to answer because no one even thinks about UMKC because they can't get in since most went to college and are applying to medical school. Personally I think it is a great school, my dad went to school there and I think they really have solid coursework and opportunities for their students, but I think it really is geared toward those just graduating from high school. Unless something has chaned? I am sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I think the only reason the have a higher attritution rate is because the high school students get in and then realize medicine is not for them, maybe. Otherwise I think it would be an awesome school and you would certainly get a lot of attention and support from the faculty because their are so few that go there and they are soley focused on making you a great doctor straight out of high school.

Yea im applying to the umkc ba/md straight out of high school program. I had an interview a couple of days ago and am waiting for a response. But if i did get in i wanted to make srue this is the school for me and a school that i wont regret have gone to

zeeyo987 said:
Yea im applying to the umkc ba/md straight out of high school program. I had an interview a couple of days ago and am waiting for a response. But if i did get in i wanted to make srue this is the school for me and a school that i wont regret have gone to

I wish I could help you out more, I'll I really know is that when my dad went to school there like 2 or 3 decades ago, he says it was awesome, but I am not in anyway familar with what it is actually today. Just the impressions I have from my dad and what the school seems like. Still awesome to be in medical school so early, but then I guess there are also benefits to college too. I wish I could help more, I just wanted to write again to make sure that I did not give you the impression that I know what I am talking about, cause I really have no clue...

zeeyo987 said:
...what was the cost for the school itself for the 6 year program, medical program, and undergraduate program, and finally how well this school ranks compared to other med schools around the country. Thanks

Out of state is very very very very very expensive, but instate tuition is pretty much average... It is not worth going if you are out-of-state and are planning on financing your education solely with loans...

As far as rankings go, UMKC ranks pretty low on NIH funding since it is mostly geared towards producing primary care physicians not research... the school has opted out of being ranked by US news as far as I know...

Bottom line: UMKC is a very popular school among people who know what it's about... people who know very little about the program tend to think of it in a negative light whereas people who are very familiar with it (like the above poster's dad for example) speak very highly of it...

And bottom line part dos: If you are interested in research, or a high profile academic career don't come here... it's not impossible to have such a career after graduation (many have), but in my opinion there are much better paths for that... yes normal college has lots of things that are not available to in the program, but it would be hard to imagine that a freshmen in college would experience the many things that UMKC med freshmen do...

From my experience (which is very limited mind you :)), students leave not necessarily because they realize medicine is not for them, but because it goes FAST and they can't keep up... it's not for everyone, but so far I am enjoying the ride. :)

PM me if you want to know more about the school.... I'll try to share/help as much as I can.

hey,

I applied and was accepted there when I graduated from highschool. I ended up attending University of chicago. I'm from California too.

When I was caught between going to UMKC versus going to college, it was a long, very long hard process. I mean you're talking about a six year BS/MD program. I would have received my MD by the time I was 23.

There are so many pluses to this: less time, probably less money, no hassle of applying again, the school had excellent advising system, support group. They provide you with a secretary and office. you get early clinical exposure. The administration gives you so much responsibility early on too.

But then I started to look at the bigger picture. Where do most UMKC grads end up and I think the adcom gave me a match list that indicated they tended to stay in the midwest. They also tended to be primary like a previous poster said.

I went to visit the school again for a personal second look. (I don't think they offer a second look weekend). And I got to talk to students.

I ended up going to college because I wanted more options. This killed my parents because the easier route was so guaranteed. But I reminded them that I was going to become a doctor and felt I would be a stronger one through going thru the traditional 4 years route of college.

PM me if you have more questions. I'm sure you did fine on the interview.

Yes, to the OP, speak to freakingzooming as he seems to have a lot of wisdom and good advice about being torn between the traditional or BS/MD route.

I had a similar choice: Northwestern, Wash U in St. Louis, Vanderbilt or another BS/MD... money was not the main issue (I would have huge loans at ANY of the schools!) so in the end I just chose the one that I liked the best, rankings and prestige aside. :)

A lot of top students get roped into chosing BS/MDs because it is such a sure thing, but that should not be your deciding factor (neither should your parents I should mention after reading some previous posts of yours). Go where YOU will be happy because you are the person who must live with your decision. If you are extremely concerned with other people's opinion about your personal choices, then perhaps the traditional route will be better for you.

And just a side note:

Not every UMKC grad ends up on extreme makeover like Dr. Shah :laugh:... likewise, not everyone is stuck in the midwest or is unable to match at top schools. UMKC grads tend to stay in the midwest because they love the midwest, not because they are trapped. :)

zeeyo987 said:
Hi, my name is shan. I wanted to know if UMKC was a public or private school, what was the cost for the school itself for the 6 year program, medical program, and undergraduate program, and finally how well this school ranks compared to other med schools around the country. Thanks

hi shan,

although i wasn't aware that umkc ONLY accepts people into its 6 year program, i'm actually fairly familiar with the school. pm if you need more info.

it's a public school, but they charge in-state students just as much as out-of-staters. they accept both in- and out-staters. as far as i could tell, you don't get much of an actual undergrad education. like any other medical school, if you fail a class, you're basically set back an entire year. this leads to a fair number of 6-year-program students actually spending 7 or more years there. like others have said, umkc puts out mostly primary care physicians. i do know of a handful of people who have gone on to more research-intensive (read: "prestigious") residencies, but this is not the majority.

Newquagmire said:
hi shan,

although i wasn't aware that umkc ONLY accepts people into its 6 year program, i'm actually fairly familiar with the school. pm if you need more info.

it's a public school, but they charge in-state students just as much as out-of-staters. they accept both in- and out-staters. as far as i could tell, you don't get much of an actual undergrad education. like any other medical school, if you fail a class, you're basically set back an entire year. this leads to a fair number of 6-year-program students actually spending 7 or more years there. like others have said, umkc puts out mostly primary care physicians. i do know of a handful of people who have gone on to more research-intensive (read: "prestigious") residencies, but this is not the majority.

no... now days out of state is almost twice as expensive as in state... as much as $70,000 during year 5 I believe... (the only reason I can afford out of state tutition is because of my scholarships)... and they do accept direct MD students, but not very many...

...some people have to stay an extra year (a B- is basically failing...), but the vast majority can make it just fine in 6... and it is only fair that I defend my school and say that I am enjoying my undergrad education just fine thanks... ;)

Does anyone know anything about the MD-only program there?

...only that they are really nice people and don't mind being in classes with some of us who are a lot younger :)... they begin taking classes with the year 2's second semester.

You probably already know the website but:
http://research.med.umkc.edu/education/default.html
and click MD only of course. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you...That was a very nice response. Maybe I thought you could answer another question for me. I was looking at requirements and it says you need 10 semester hours of chemistry (inorganic), but most people I would guess only take two lectures @ 3 credits and 2 labs @ 1 credit for a total of 8 credits, so is there another class you have to take or is it really just a year of gen chem with labs?

ZAZA67401 said:
Thank you...That was a very nice response. Maybe I thought you could answer another question for me. I was looking at requirements and it says you need 10 semester hours of chemistry (inorganic), but most people I would guess only take two lectures @ 3 credits and 2 labs @ 1 credit for a total of 8 credits, so is there another class you have to take or is it really just a year of gen chem with labs?

And thank you also for being nice as there seems to be a slight shortage of politeness on SDN... it is great when some is found though. :)

You would probably have to check with them because all of the general chem at UMKC (including hours that I transfered in) are 4 credit hour lectures with 1 credit hour labs... this would explain the missing 2 credit hours but I don't know if it really answers your question.... sorry!

However, I don't see why a year of general chem with labs wouldn't count... but I honestly have no idea. :) UMKC is excellent with supporting and working with their students in anyway possible, so chances are it would turn out just fine.

I am a third year UMKC student. If you have any questions about the program I would be more than happy to answer them. My class has 90 students in it, 7 or so are MD-only kids and the rest are the 6-year kids. Cost is expensive, but all med schools are costly. You truely do get to start seeing what being a doctor is like from Year 1. I actually see patients in clinic by myself 1/2 a day a week every week and will continue to until I graduate.

ZAZA67401 said:

You have to take Chem 1 with lab (5 hours), Chem 2 with Lab (5 hours) during year one. Then Organic Chem with lab (5 hours) during Year 2.

If you take and pass the AP Chem test, you can go straight into Organic, which is what a lot of my class did.

I think you are talking about MD-only though, right?? In that case, I would assume you would be fine.

Did UMKC accept any MD-only students this year? I was under the impression that they only where able to accept MD-only students if some of the other students failed a class or where held back, and I heard this did not happen this year.

The MD-Onlys are just fillers to make the classes around 100 or so. There are only around 3 in the Year 2 class. I am not sure if they will be taking any for this coming up year or not. I saw some students interviewing today that looked a bit older and were not toting any parents, so they might be.

Thank you...All of your comments have been most hopeful. I think I will follow up with the admissions office at UMKC. It is all encouraging to hear from students already in the program and to have them be so nice.

ZAZA67401 said:
Thank you...All of your comments have been most hopeful. I think I will follow up with the admissions office at UMKC. It is all encouraging to hear from students already in the program and to have them be so nice.

I've had lots of experience with UMKC, and I can honestly tell you to stay away. It does matter where you goto med school, and UMKC is not the kind of place you'll be proud to graduate from. Rankings aside, the student morale there is very low. It's an easy way to get an MD, but not a place that prides itself on medical education. If you can get into the combined program, you will easily be able to get into a traditional 4y program after undergrad. UMKC is most definitely a low-tier medical school all-around, and the general feeling there reflects this. Students are quite unhappy and the match lists are pathetic.

MedStudent2004 said:
I've had lots of experience with UMKC, and I can honestly tell you to stay away. It does matter where you goto med school, and UMKC is not the kind of place you'll be proud to graduate from. Rankings aside, the student morale there is very low. It's an easy way to get an MD, but not a place that prides itself on medical education. If you can get into the combined program, you will easily be able to get into a traditional 4y program after undergrad. UMKC is most definitely a low-tier medical school all-around, and the general feeling there reflects this. Students are quite unhappy and the match lists are pathetic.

Yikes. What is your experience with UMKC?

P.S. I am studying right now for my path test. Not feeling so EASY. :)

MedStudent2004 said:

Yeah.. wow :thumbdown:

Maybe I would have taken offense to that... except I know for a fact that the only sick people in the world who need doctors do not all reside in Cambridge, Mass. :) Some people don't go into medicine for name dropping prestige.

Go where you feel comfortable... if rankings are something that you cherish, and if you can not go to a school without USNews telling you that it's awesome then you don't belong here...

and we don't want ya! :p

The UMKC 6 Year Med Program was started with the intention of increasing primary healthcare in rural areas of Missouri. That is why it may not be as prestigious as others.

Also, for those who are interested, you should look closely at the BS/MD program. Everyone in the program is encouraged to actually complete BLA (Bachelor of Liberal Arts) - which includes communication arts, art classes and not a lot of things that pertain to medicine. Getting a BS is difficult due to the limited classes for specific majors. However, some people are determined and motivated enough to do a BA in BIO, CHEM, or PSYCH. But don't be fooled to believe you will get a BS. It's practically impossible because of the conflictions of School of Science and School of Medicine. I got screwed in this area and now I can only complete the BLA.

Side note: Hey melodious04...good job on representing UMKC :D ...

aznliu said:
Side note: Hey melodious04...good job on representing UMKC :D ...

Hey no problem. :) I really love this school and I get a little defensive when people put it down. Medicine is not about the prestige. UMKC is all about the patients and has consistently graduated extremely competent and caring physicians.

I feel very blessed to be here.

Hey no problem. :) I really love this school and I get a little defensive when people put it down. Medicine is not about the prestige. UMKC is all about the patients and has consistently graduated extremely competent and caring physicians.

I feel very blessed to be here.

Do you still think UMKC is as great of a med program now as a Year 4 compared to Year 1? :laugh: How did you feel your coursework prepared you for boards?

there are MANY enjoyable/successful career paths (hard sciences/research, engineering, law, business, etc.), just make sure that you are truly set on medicine and for the reasons that will make you happy 20 years from now.