Info/ranking of these NYC/NJ programs (help!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrisc5308

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was hoping some folks could provide me with some opinions (and a ranking:)of the following programs. I am not from NY and have not had the opportunity to learn a whole lot more than what was offered on interview day. Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated. (And, yes I have seen scutwork) Good luck to all with the match !!

Beth Isreal
St. Lukes
Lenox Hill
St. Vincents
North Shore
UMDNJ

PS I am hoping to do cards. Thanks again

Chris

Members don't see this ad.

I had similiar thoughts as well. I didn't interview at Lennox Hill or UMDNJ but i would say something like:

St. Lukes
UMDNJ
Beth Israel
St. Vincents
North Shore

chrisc5308 said:
Hi everyone,

I was hoping some folks could provide me with some opinions (and a ranking:)of the following programs. I am not from NY and have not had the opportunity to learn a whole lot more than what was offered on interview day. Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated. (And, yes I have seen scutwork) Good luck to all with the match !!

Beth Isreal
St. Lukes
Lenox Hill
St. Vincents
North Shore
UMDNJ

Chris

chrisc5308 said:
Hi everyone,

Chris

I would rank them as such

North Shore
St. Lukes
Beth Isreal (NYC - not newark)
Lenox Hill
St. Vincents
UMDNJ

Members don't see this ad :)
I would rank them:

St. Luke's (they do match people into cardio and seem like they have strong faculty)
Beth Israel
North Shore (I know a lot of people like them for things like interventional)
UMDNJ (if RWJ)
Lenox Hill
St. Vincent's
UMDNJ (if NJMS - Newark)

BlahtoThis said:
I would rank them:

St. Luke's (they do match people into cardio and seem like they have strong faculty)
Beth Israel
North Shore (I know a lot of people like them for things like interventional)
UMDNJ (if RWJ)
Lenox Hill
St. Vincent's
UMDNJ (if NJMS - Newark)

hm it seems like people agree with me St. lukes is near the top but why do you rate BEth Israel higher than NS or UMDNJ? Also how does it compare with the other two Albert Einstein programs?

Hey Guys,

Thanks for you input. I'm kind of surprised that everyone has St Luke's ahead of Beth Israel eventhough BI is the university program. Anyway, thanks for your help. If anyone else can comment that would be great.

lumanase said:
hm it seems like people agree with me St. lukes is near the top but why do you rate BEth Israel higher than NS or UMDNJ? Also how does it compare with the other two Albert Einstein programs?

Beth Israel is affiliated with Einstein while Monte and Jacobi are considered the main university teaching hospitals so they are considered more favorable. I liked Jacobi but I think the residents looked a little beat up. I didnt go to Monte so I cant comment on it.

Chris

why do you all consider beth israel to be better than lenox hill?
i went to both jacobi and monte...not ranking jacobi and didn't like monte much either.

CityIvy said:
i went to both jacobi and monte...not ranking jacobi and didn't like monte much either.

I think people are put off by the large number of private patients.

Chris

CityIvy said:

Lennox hill also dont have a big school affliation if i recall correctly. I was pleasantly surprised by Jacobi, the new building at least doesn't look like it's built pre-war. The only thing i knew about it was that it appearred in the movie Supersize Me. Monte was a good backup for someone who couldn't get into the bigger names in new york.

Which is more laid back: St Lukes or St Vincents?

Hey all...first of all, I REALLY REALLY wanna apologize in advance if it seems like I am hijacking this thread, but that is SO not my intention, but the reason why I am replying is 1) I interviewed at these same places, 2) am VERY LOST about how to rank, and 3) I know that if I started another thread, NO ONE would respond.

So, with that aside, I am having a HELL of a time ranking b/w these 4:

a. Jacobi
While I liked the new building, the residents are very worked. also, IS IT A UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL, or an affiliate--the reason why I ask is b/c I thought Monte was the University Hospital and not JAcobi. Also, I have heard from the person giving me the tour that fellowships (which are at Monte and NOT an Jacobi) in GI (something that I wanna do) are almost NEVER given to people from Jacobi, which is why they have very few people matching in GI.

b. Beth Israel in NYC
Contrary to what someone else had written, this is NOT a university hospital...and, WHAT IS THEIR REPUTATION in and out of NYC.

c. Lenox Hill
It is affiliated w/ Weill AND Downstate apparently. Gr8 rep. for cardio! What about GI?

d. UMDNJ-Newark
Doesn't seem to carry a strong track record for GI, but is a "TRUE" university hospital. Also, do you guys think the legal troubles will affect its already somewhat low reputation.

I REALLY do appreciate any input you guys put in on this. It'll only take a couple of minutes of your time, but would help me out tremendously.

Thanks guys!!!!

medlaw06 said:
Hey all...first of all, I REALLY REALLY wanna apologize in advance if it seems like I am hijacking this thread, but that is SO not my intention, but the reason why I am replying is 1) I interviewed at these same places, 2) am VERY LOST about how to rank, and 3) I know that if I started another thread, NO ONE would respond.

So, with that aside, I am having a HELL of a time ranking b/w these 4:

a. Jacobi
While I liked the new building, the residents are very worked. also, IS IT A UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL, or an affiliate--the reason why I ask is b/c I thought Monte was the University Hospital and not JAcobi. Also, I have heard from the person giving me the tour that fellowships (which are at Monte and NOT an Jacobi) in GI (something that I wanna do) are almost NEVER given to people from Jacobi, which is why they have very few people matching in GI.

b. Beth Israel in NYC
Contrary to what someone else had written, this is NOT a university hospital...and, WHAT IS THEIR REPUTATION in and out of NYC.

c. Lenox Hill
It is affiliated w/ Weill AND Downstate apparently. Gr8 rep. for cardio! What about GI?

d. UMDNJ-Newark
Doesn't seem to carry a strong track record for GI, but is a "TRUE" university hospital. Also, do you guys think the legal troubles will affect its already somewhat low reputation.

I REALLY do appreciate any input you guys put in on this. It'll only take a couple of minutes of your time, but would help me out tremendously.

Thanks guys!!!!

monte is the university program for AECOM. as far as GI, the fellowship is a monte fellowship, but fellows also cover jacobi. jacobi is an einstein affiliate, but it has stronger ties to einstein than Beth israel or LIJ ( other einstein affiliates) in that the faculty at jacobi do a lot of research at einstein, given its proximity to the medical school. GI at monte usually takes one monte resident (the past few years it has been a chief). you're right, jacobi will not get you a GI fellowship at monte. as far as BI rep around NYC i think its pretty good. I can't compare it to the others though... i think it lacks a national rep, just my opinion though. hope this helps.

bump...what the heck....goin' fishin'

guess no one's bitin' today.....