Info regarding MS-4 rotations at UTSW-Dallas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just been informed that the department of surgery at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, TX, a part of the UT-Southwestern Medical School system, does not accept osteopathic medical students for elective rotations.

DO students: don't waste your time.

Members don't see this ad.

OSUdoc08 said:
I have just been informed that the department of surgery at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, TX, a part of the UT-Southwestern Medical School system, does not accept osteopathic medical students for elective rotations.

I wonder if they'll dish the same type of discrimination to DOs :thumbdown:

medhacker said:
I wonder if they'll dish the same type of discrimination to DOs :thumbdown:

I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

The program director of the EM residency states that DO students must submit the USMLE for consideration. In addition, you need a 215 or higher on the USMLE to be "competitive" for an "MS-4 rotation." That's right---they look at board scores to admit you into a rotation.

Members don't see this ad :)
It might not be such a loss. We had a surgeon talk to us two days ago who graduated from UTSA. He did an away rotation at Parkland in surgery because it was his top choice (sort of duh for Texas people I guess). Anyway, he said he got a wonderful evaluation (received the highest possible grade) for the rotation and ranked them #1 in the match but still didn't match there. So maybe it's not worth wasting your time for any students.

OSUdoc08 said:

Where did you find this out?

Some of our fourth years here at TCOM do rotations at Parkland all the time. I think they accept something like two for our school for ER each year, and some have gone into psych, etc.. I do know they are pretty selective in everything they do over at Southwestern (like a 32 MCAT to get accepted), so it doesn't surprise me they want good board scores to even just rotate there. I'll see if I can find out more on this end.

TCOM200901

tucomnvms1 said:
Where did you find this out?

I recieved a phone call from the department after they recieved my application for a Trauma Surgery elective rotation.

tcom200901 said:
Some of our fourth years here at TCOM do rotations at Parkland all the time. I think they accept something like two for our school for ER each year, and some have gone into psych, etc.. I do know they are pretty selective in everything they do over at Southwestern (like a 32 MCAT to get accepted), so it doesn't surprise me they want good board scores to even just rotate there. I'll see if I can find out more on this end.

TCOM200901

There is currently a resident from my school in the ER there. It is specifically the department of surgery that doesn't accept DO students.

I believe that would fall under discrimination and could be pursued further with a letter from your lawyer, but that would ruin any chance you have at matching. I would suggest either rotating thru a standard EM rotation or not at all, and just apply there for residency. I never saw the place unti; interview day (except dumping out my pts from a careflight ambulance) I had good feedback, and had I ranked them several spots higher probably would have matched there.
my 0.02

Best Wishes

The Mish