informal Post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joker88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I definitely need some advice in my situation. I am graduating next semester from my institution with a 3.04 science gpa. My cgpa is about a 3.5. I have run into a lot of rough patches financially with family eect. over the course of college. But I definitely do not want to portray to adcoms that I am making excuses for myself. I want to do the work to prove I can handle the upper level science courses. I never received a grade lower than a C in any science class but unfortunately I DID get about 5-6 Cs in some science/physio classes.

What I have been thinking is that I can start retaking some of those C's this summer at my institution and possibly do an informal post-bacc. next fall to prove I can handle the harder science courses. At the same time I am taking a couple of 400 level science courses in my last semester (spring) and plan to do my best to ace all of them.

If anyone can tell me what they think or if this sounds like a good plan at all please let me know. Any advice at all is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just wondering how much course work is necessary for me to prove I can do it. Im thinking 2 classes next semester, 3 retakes over summer probably isnt enough to prove i can handle the course work in med school when i have 5-6 Cs. I plan to take some more classes next fall through informal post-bacc but not sure how much i should do i guess. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in sort of a similar situation when I graduated. Multiple Cs, similar gpas. I retook gen chem and took the rest of the courses I needed through an informal post-bacc. I raised my gpa a few tenths of a point, but it's still not stellar. I've had 6 MD interviews with no acceptances (yet :xf:!) and 2 DO interviews with 2 acceptances.

My advice is take as many science classes as you can handle, and still make all As. Do retake the intro classes if you didn't learn the material the first time around, my opinion.