Informal PostBacc Question (few classes)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scarterinscrubs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to take few classes this May and Summer because I am really beginning to feel that my gpa is not competitive enough in order to get accepted this coming cycle. Well, the problem is non of the schools in my area are offering many upper level biology courses until the fall semester. I probably will take the couple that they are offering, but I really want to know if I should take classes other than biology also just to give my overall gpa a little boost?

Other than that my EC's are good, and I hope to have a pretty good MCAT score in May.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe you could post some more information about the classes you've taken and your current BCPM GPA so that someone could give you a better idea of what classes to take. Also, check out the Post-Bac threads.

I guess that would help.

Overall GPA: 3.18
BCPM GPA: 3.04 (somewhere close to this, dont know exactly)

I have a BS in biology, so I have taken all of the prereqs. I didnt do to hot in my freshmen year biology, but i really do not want to take those over.
I have take two genetics classes, most recent class was biochem last summer.

I would have loved to take some developmental bio classes but they decided not to offer that this summer.

Only classes offered this summer is Micro biology, general physiology (could retake this and get an A), Physical chemistry.

I would like to take a physiological Psych class.

Members don't see this ad :)
the best and most important advice that anyone can give you is that it doesnt really matter WHAT you take, just that you should get A's in everything. I would take as many sciences (preferably bios) as possible because that way you're simultaneously raising your overall and BCPM GPAs.

the best and most important advice that anyone can give you is that it doesnt really matter WHAT you take, just that you should get A's in everything. I would take as many sciences (preferably bios) as possible because that way you're simultaneously raising your overall and BCPM GPAs.

Not necessarily. We dont' want to encourage that this person take intro to fundamentals of Star Wars at the George Lucas Community College. My freshman/sophmore gpa wasnt' spectacular due to testing anxiety and I took a semester off and worked on it, but I didn't take the easy route. I took all graduate/advanced bio courses and aced all of them for 2 straight years. It definately raised an eyebrow at schools, whereas if I had taken intro courses and gotten A's as well, they wouldn't of cared.

I would definately look into a post-bac. Check out http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=71 and http://services.aamc.org/postbac/ for more information. I would try and take some upper level science courses since you've taken all the pre-reqs already. Don't repeat the physiology class, instead look for some new classes that contribute to your BCPM and get all As. In the meantime, think about when you would be ready for the MCAT.

If you have the prereqs and a biology degree, then I'd personally go for a smp program over informal postbacc. At this point you probably enough enough science credits and you aren't going to improve your gpa that much. You need to wow them by loading up on tough courses at a program designed to prove yourself.

I'm doing an informal postbacc now but I didn't have any requirements completed before hand.

If you have the prereqs and a biology degree, then I'd personally go for a smp program over informal postbacc. At this point you probably enough enough science credits and you aren't going to improve your gpa that much. You need to wow them by loading up on tough courses at a program designed to prove yourself.

I'm doing an informal postbacc now but I didn't have any requirements completed before hand.

So much depends on your financial situation. I couldn't have afforded to quit my job and enter a smp program, so I've been taking as many upper level bio courses as I can find (I'm lucky, in that I've been able to find evening courses). True, these grades only shift my BCPM GPA slightly (I already took my pre-reqs in undergrad). But I now have about 30 post-bacc credits with a 4.0, so hopefully that will help me out somehow (still waiting for an acceptance this cycle, so we'll see...)

OP, if you can afford the smp, then go for it. But don't despair if you can't -- informal post-bacc (at a 4-year accredited institution) still shows the schools that you're actively working to improve your GPA, and that you're committed enough to continually take challenging courses. Good luck!