Informal vs Formal Post-Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FinAnalyst

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering going back to school to get my pre-reqs and was wondering if any of you had thoughts on formal post-bacc programs versus going it alone (or semi alone). It's a choice between a private colleges program ($25k per year) or just enrolling in classes at a state school (not community college). I assume with the state school that I would still have access to all of the pre-med advisors and tools, however, I would not have the support of other non-traditional students. Have any of you had a good or bad experience with either? What did you like/dislike? If you had to chose between the two what would you do? Thanks in advance for your thoughts/advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I did a formal post bacc, but it was at one of my state universities so tuition and fees weren't too bad. I would not have paid twice as much for one of the private post baccs, though, because I think the benefits of these programs are overstated if you are self-motivated and willing to do your own research into what it takes to get into med school.

I also think that getting the support of other nontrads is overrated - this is a personal journey - even if you aren't in a program designed for nontrads, there will be other nontrads, along with trads, in the same boat with you, and if you seek their support, I am sure you will find it.

Finally, one drawback to informal post baccs is that you may NOT have the same access to pre med committees, etc., that the regular students have. So you might want to investigate that if it is really that important to you...I felt otherwise.

The biggest problem with the informal route is that you may find you are low man on the totem pole when it comes to registering for classes...the regular students will have priority over you, and you may find it very hard to get into the classes you need.

Members don't see this ad :)
State school gpa demolition and reconstruction project here. Built on the premise of maintaining a full-time job in the process.

If your sitting on a pile of cash and you wanted to to make a clean jump out of finance or whathaveyou and want some bells and whistles and maybe some cozy med school affiliations. Maybe. In that scenario. A slick private post bac makes some sense.

Purely on the basis of functionality. There's not much difference. But then I'm a functionally oriented person. Maybe there is some difference if you are concerned about some of the ideas bandied about in the pre-allo forum. Like if my score is _____ will Duke and them dig me.

Rubbing elbows in elevators with some of these on the interview trail has convinced me of something. We're not all reading for the same parts. If you're gonna read for nerd-elite. You should build your act from head shot to agent in that vain. If not. Then f@ck the b@ll****.

State school gpa demolition and reconstruction project here. Built on the premise of maintaining a full-time job in the process.

If your sitting on a pile of cash and you wanted to to make a clean jump out of finance or whathaveyou and want some bells and whistles and maybe some cozy med school affiliations. Maybe. In that scenario. A slick private post bac makes some sense.

Purely on the basis of functionality. There's not much difference. But then I'm a functionally oriented person. Maybe there is some difference if you are concerned about some of the ideas bandied about in the pre-allo forum. Like if my score is _____ will Duke and them dig me.

Rubbing elbows in elevators with some of these on the interview trail has convinced me of something. We're not all reading for the same parts. If you're gonna read for nerd-elite. You should build your act from head shot to agent in that vain. If not. Then f@ck the b@ll****.

Do you own a pair of bongos?

Taking classes at the state university worked out fine for me, tuition and fees worked out to about 8000 (for the complete sequence of pre-med courses).

I just can't comprehend paying $3-4k PER COURSE at a formal program. Especially one that doesn't even have a linkage allowing you to bypass that glide year. I was just looking at American U post bacc program and their per credit hour cost is $1100! Wheeew....:eek:

We'd all like to think we will finish out our science courses with a 4.0 and excel our way into med school. But I've been out of college for 5 years now and the closest I've come to chemistry was back in sophmore of high school...WOW.

So to spend 25-30k on a formal post bacc without knowing really knowing if I'll do well enough on my pre-reqs to get into medical school, that is quite a risk.

I'd much rather take my pre-reqs at a state school (or harvard ext 2010!) for around 8k total. It's much less of a risk and I can keep my debt to a minimum prior to med school.

Some other benefits of my taking the informal route:

- I can continue to work full time while taking 2 courses per semester

- Working full time for the next 3 years (2 of pre reqs, 1 of glide) allows me to save enough money to not have to borrow excessive amounts for living expenses while in med school

- I can get my employer to pay for a portion of my classes through tuition reimbursement

A potential negative to making/saving this money:

- I may not receive as much financial aid (can anyone speak to this?)

I'm doing an informal post-bac and I have the same access to pre-health advising as the traditionals.

The difference may be that I am technically seeking a second degree, even if I'm not sure I will finish it. So it's not true that you don't have access to the same committee letter potential/events/admission visits as the traditionals, at least at my school, and other schools I know of as well.

Some schools simply require you to have x amount of hours completed for access to the interview/committee evaluation and committee letter - I know of some places where the requirement may be as low as 24 semester hours.

I'm considering going back to school to get my pre-reqs and was wondering if any of you had thoughts on formal post-bacc programs versus going it alone (or semi alone). It's a choice between a private colleges program ($25k per year) or just enrolling in classes at a state school (not community college). I assume with the state school that I would still have access to all of the pre-med advisors and tools, however, I would not have the support of other non-traditional students. Have any of you had a good or bad experience with either? What did you like/dislike? If you had to chose between the two what would you do? Thanks in advance for your thoughts/advice!

I'm in a formal postbacc now, and could not be happier w/ my decision to go here. It is definitely expensive, a point that's been made repeatedly in comments above, but for me it is worth it. My reasoning went something like so:

My option @ the nearby state school was to take classes at night while I worked during the day. I have a MUCH harder time paying attention in classes, doing homework, etc at night than I do during the day, & w/ a job I'd have much less time in which to study. That felt like handicapping myself at the start of a race. Also, w/ the only time available for school in the evenings, I would only be able to take one class at a time, thus significantly increasing the length of time it would take me to finish my prereqs and I was ready to get a move on.

Again, the option at the state school was such that not all classes were available in evenings or were not available every semester. There was no institutional support for non-trad students working their way through these classes, and there were no slots reserved for non-trads, so enrollment in my chosen courses was not guaranteed. That meant a significant increase in the length of time it would take me to work through all the prereqs.

Basically, I felt that there were too many unanswered questions and too many clear obstacles to success (for me, personally, based on the ways I do and do not study, etc) to go that route.

Having rejected the nearby state school, I started looking farther afield for options, but then it essentially came down to having to look for a new job in a new city, decide whether to try to support myself on half-time work or try to work full time and hope that the limited time available to study would not result in poorer grades, etc. Once I got to the point where I was thinking of relocating *anyway*, and trying to figure out a way to live on limited income *anyway*, the idea of taking out loans for 1 year of private post-bacc and devoting myself fully to studies started to seem more reasonable. 1 year of FT study + loans versus 3+ years of night school and possible PT income looked more attractive, and here I am.

That said, I have mitigating circumstances - learning disabilities that mean I have to put in more time than some in order to succeed in my classes - that tipped the balance for me.

Both options - structured postbacc programs and DIY classes - work well over all. You'll find many people endorsing one over the other, but ultimately the right choice for *you* depends on what sorts of things will improve your chances of success and what sorts of things might create barriers to that success. Choose whatever program will maximize the former & minimize the latter and you'll be good to go.

Scheduling does sound like a plus if you're not near a major university. I was fortunate to be able to schedule all the required courses during 1 calendar year and receive federal student aid as a full-time student at the state U. Also got high scheduling priority since they determine your status by number of credit hours completed - by now I have so many that I think I get the first appointment out of all 30K of them :lol:.

I had the same concerns just today. I didn't even know what post-bacc or SMP was until I came here. I looked up a post-bacc program in my area and it's 25k a year-totally not worth it to me. I already have enough in student loans to not be in med school.
My thoughts were to take classes at a local university here, and the price of the post bacc program confirmed it for me.

Bear with me here, new member. ;)

I'm in the exact same situation as the poster quoted below, and am in my first semester of an informal postbacc at my state school. I couldn't have done it any other way. I was accepted to a formal postbacc program at the institution where I got my undergrad degree, before actually counting the number of credits I'd have to take and multiplying that by the $/credit hour. I was pretty shocked when I found out how much it would be--not to mention that I'd have to pay living costs on top of that (am currently living with the 'rents). A private formal postbacc wasn't an option for me, even though I'd have loved to continue going to school at my UG institution.

My advice for the original poster is to sit down and talk with a pre-med or admissions advisor at the state school you're looking at. At the very least, find out if there are any other students doing a posbacc at that university. I didn't even realize that I could do an informal postbacc program at all until I found someone at my state school (through their pre-med student group) who was already doing one there, and asked for advice. You should know beforehand how to apply, and whether or not you'd be able to have the same benefits as a normal UG student at that school. I applied as a transfer student, even though I don't plan on getting a second degree (worked out great because I can register earlier, as I'm technically a super-senior :D ). Some schools might do it differently. Look into the rules on getting a letter from the pre-med rec committee at your school. Often they'll allow postbaccs to do it with a minimum number of credits taken at that school. In my situation, I have access to the exact same resources as the normal pre-med undergrads--including TA and research grant opportunities.

Good luck! Don't feel pressured into doing a formal postbacc program unless you think it would be worth the extra cash. But do make sure you know how your state school treats postbaccs with regards to the application/recommendation process.

I'm doing an informal post-bac and I have the same access to pre-health advising as the traditionals.

The difference may be that I am technically seeking a second degree, even if I'm not sure I will finish it. So it's not true that you don't have access to the same committee letter potential/events/admission visits as the traditionals, at least at my school, and other schools I know of as well.

Some schools simply require you to have x amount of hours completed for access to the interview/committee evaluation and committee letter - I know of some places where the requirement may be as low as 24 semester hours.

A little off topic but I have a question; for the nontrads with little to no science courses under his/her belt; did you only take the required science courses for med school, or do you aim to take a little more?

A little off topic but I have a question; for the nontrads with little to no science courses under his/her belt; did you only take the required science courses for med school, or do you aim to take a little more?

I currently have 186 semester credits of coursework (grad/undergrad). In addition to another 36 quarter credits of premed and 24 more semester credits to finish grad I'll have a lot of schoolwork completed. Although my graduate program covers biomedical engineering and molecular biology I haven't completed any BCP, so, in addition to having to complete those requirements, several physicians I've worked with recommended biochem. Once I do complete BCP I'll take the MCAT and in preparation for med school I'll still take some extra courses (prob anatomy and biochem).

there is support.
i met a lot of postbacs in my class, some from my undergrad institution (only 20 miles away). we help each other, and are friends, and plan classes together as best as we can.
so, yeah, shrug- i think it's cool.
i started in the summer, so there were quiet a few postbacs in the summer classes, and these classes are small, so we got to know each other.
the postbacs are ususally the "smarties" anyways, so once you start talking you go "ahhhh! you too?"
and exchange phone #s and facebook accounts.
btw, the advisor is pretty useless. she underestimates the postbacs.
she would get mad at us for taking on too much, but everyone had a crazy course and everyone does very well (postbacs).

I just took the requirements before applying. But now I am taking genetics and microbiology just to get a little more background, and because there are some advantages to remaining a student until med school starts.

I'm planning on taking all the required courses plus a few extra before I take the MCATS--I haven't totally decided, but I think I'll take anatomy, biochem, and cell biology.

I did my post-bacc at a local state school and was very satisfied with it. It is my opinion with non-grad level courses that the same material is taught, and where it is being taught is nearly irrelevant.

The school I did this at had a single pre-med advisor, and there were several non-traditionals all doing the same thing.