Informal vs. Formal Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maxprime

Higgs chaser
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the general +/- of the two (mainly cost). My question is this:

I need a lot of hours to increase my GPA. If I go to a state school, it will not only be cheaper, but I can take a lot more hours per semester and it will be less competitive. The risks I see are two:

1) less prepared for MCAT (fixable)
2) lack of credit given to post-bacc coursework

Any thoughts? Am I missing anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Maxprime said:
I know the general +/- of the two (mainly cost). My question is this:

I need a lot of hours to increase my GPA. If I go to a state school, it will not only be cheaper, but I can take a lot more hours per semester and it will be less competitive. The risks I see are two:

1) less prepared for MCAT (fixable)
2) lack of credit given to post-bacc coursework

Any thoughts? Am I missing anything?

You're missing the fact that no matter where you take the classes, only you decide how "prepared" you are for the MCAT, not the school. By taking a review course and/or working your butt off, it does not matter if you take the classes at Joe Schmoe university or some bit name school. Believe me, the only thing that people are looking for are A's in their courses. If you can do that at your local school with a cheaper price tag, more power to you. The only way people will look down on your post bacc work is if you suck @ss in the classes you take. If you do well, you're going to be in good shape.

Sundarban1 said:
it does not matter if you take the classes at Joe Schmoe university or some bit name school. Believe me, the only thing that people are looking for are A's in their courses. If you can do that at your local school with a cheaper price tag, more power to you. The only way people will look down on your post bacc work is if you suck @ss in the classes you take. If you do well, you're going to be in good shape.

Exactly what I was looking for - many thanks for the help.