Information on Healthcare Policy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Original

Ogori-Magongo Warrior
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know close to nothing about that HMO stuff. I have a few interviews coming up and was wandering if you guys know any good sources where I can get the scoop on the whole medicare, medicaid, HMO ness. Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't look like it. Try a web search if you must, but I doubt you'll need to know anything in depth. They're more interested in you than in the current state of health care, at least for your hour or so. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
no, this isn't true. there are plenty of schools that will ask you questions about health care to see if you're aware of current health issues. some schools will grill you on it. better to be prepared and to be able to speak intelligently than to not know anything and look REALLY bad if something like this comes up. you don't need to know how to solve america's health care problems, but be aware of some basic issues.

i can't remember any good websites off-hand, but there was a thread about this a while back and some other people posted some good links. do a search for it or scroll back a few pages on this board to find it.

publicagenda.org
Gives the background of current issues and the various arguments about it and the pros and cons of each argument. It was lifesaver for me, so I hope it helps you too!

Good luck!

The following is copied from another post (courtesy of rhwave):

A couple web sites to check out: http://www.ncpa.org/pi/health/
addresses the major issues involved in health care policy. There is a TON of information here...gets a little annoying because you have to go through about half a dozen menus to get to an actual article, but it's probably the best place to get background info and read up on current/proposed policy for most issues. http://www.pbs.org/healthcarecrisis/index.htm
is the site that accompanies the PBS series about health care in America. It actually isn't as good as some stuff I've seen from PBS (it's heavy on patient stories and could use more discussion of the issues), but it is a place to start. The medicare section is good.

and finally http://www.opensecrets.org/news/mcare/index.htm
is a petty good discussion of managed care (HMOs).

Wow thanks guys! I feel so relieved. I'll get to work on the stuff. It's particularly important that I know about that stuff considering that I'm an international student. Adios Amigos!

Original,

In case you come back to look at this thread, I wanted you to read this. If all else fails look up health care in MSN Encarta. It's good...I'm serious!! I told some of my friends to read the articles on ethics and health care....it's very detailed. You'll have a basic understanding of US health care if you read the articles in MSN Encarta. Hope you see this post in time, and I hope it helps!

:)

Thanks Pendulum! Your post has reached me in time to be useful. I will read those articles and become an overnight expert on U.S healthcare policy :) Thanks!