Informational interviews for shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicandtoughness

pewpew
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Given it's still #COVIDtime, I'm wondering if schools might be open to accepting informational interviews en lieu of in-person shadowing? I know Dr. Gray and the team over at MedSchoolHQ is doing his eShadowing thing, but I figured I could reach out to physicians in the specialties I'm interested in and just do Zoom calls to ask about their day to day, maybe ask about an interesting case they've worked on, etc. It's still 100% closed up here in Massachusetts and doesn't seem like it'll let up soon. Everyone I've reached out to has said that their hospitals/facilities are still not allowing a single visitor to set foot inside :(

Members don't see this ad.

Try reaching out to private practice primary care, too.

I don't think it will be acceptable in lieu of shadowing because they are no where near equivalent experiences (also, most everyone had ample opportunity to get shadowing before this hit and, if you haven't, then things will lighten up by the time you should likely be applying anyway). However, anything is better than nothing and adcoms will be understanding of extenuating circumstances during these times so, while I doubt it would be looked at/weighed equally, it will probably still be considered as some form of experience.

(also, most everyone had ample opportunity to get shadowing before this hit and, if you haven't, then things will lighten up by the time you should likely be applying anyway).
Thanks, I appreciate the input! However, I’m frowning a little at this one. I started my premed journey at the tail end of 2019 and I’m trying to apply 2021 cycle. I don’t think I had ample opportunity at all - I got in about 40 hours before COVID hit and things started shutting down in February :/

EDIT: oops, this is the pre-allo forum! Derp. I’m a non-trad. It makes sense that undergrads who are premed would definitely have had the opportunity to build a better shadowing experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I appreciate the input! However, I’m frowning a little at this one. I started my premed journey at the tail end of 2019 and I’m trying to apply 2021 cycle. I don’t think I had ample opportunity at all - I got in about 40 hours before COVID hit and things started shutting down in February :/

EDIT: oops, this is the pre-allo forum! Derp. I’m a non-trad. It makes sense that undergrads who are premed would definitely have had the opportunity to build a better shadowing experience.
Yup! And, unfortunately, adcoms will have the same expectations of you as a non-trad. The rationale will be to ask what's the rush? They are probably not inclined to make accommodations so that a non-trad can apply with whatever they have in a year and a half while traditional applicants take 3 or 4 years to build a successful application.

You waited this long, we want you to wait another year in order to collect the same experiences as everyone else. We are not going anywhere. By the way, under the circumstances, 40 hours of shadowing will be fine. Most people don't have more than 50. What do your other ECs look like?

Reactions: 1 user
Yup! And, unfortunately, adcoms will have the same expectations of you as a non-trad. The rationale will be to ask what's the rush? They are probably not inclined to make accommodations so that a non-trad can apply with whatever they have in a year and a half while traditional applicants take 3 or 4 years to build a successful application.

You waited this long, we want you to wait another year in order to collect the same experiences as everyone else.
Agreed, wholeheartedly. Non-trads do not get cut any slack and I think it would be reasonable to assume that clinical experience is even more important for non-trads to demonstrate a solid understanding and commitment. As I said before, things should lighten up by the time you likely should be applying if you don't already have experience. If you are trying to slap together an application in just a year from another path, then you should likely consider taking at least one gap year to strengthen your application (obviously dependent on the details of your application).

By the way, under the circumstances, 40 hours of shadowing will be fine. Most people don't have more than 50. What do your other ECs look like?
I also agree here. If you have other clinical experience and are at least up to par with everything else, then 40 hours of physician shadowing should not hold you back.

Reactions: 1 users
By the way, under the circumstances, 40 hours of shadowing will be fine. Most people don't have more than 50. What do your other ECs look like?
I also agree here. If you have other clinical experience and are at least up to par with everything else, then 40 hours of physician shadowing should not hold you back.

Thank you both. I don't have a lack of clinical experience (I've worked full time both as a mental health clinician and as an LPN to the tune of 4000+ hours) or clinical volunteering (200+ hours). It's the shadowing that's got me beat :( I figured 40 was on the lower end but I guess not?!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you both. I don't have a lack of clinical experience (I've worked full time both as a mental health clinician and as an LPN to the tune of 4000+ hours) or clinical volunteering (200+ hours). It's the shadowing that's got me beat :( I figured 40 was on the lower end but I guess not?!
Shadowing is not some mythical activity--its sole purpose is to gain exposure to physician specialties and responsibilities. Other clinical experiences, such as being an LPN, afford the same experience and are all considered in the overall picture of you. You do not need anymore clinical exposure for application purposes.

If you've got the grades, prereqs, MCAT, and non-clinical volunteering then your application will be very strong. Research is helpful, too, but overrated unless you're aiming for a research-heavy school.

Reactions: 2 users
It's fine. Like I said, I think around 50 is average. It's a very passive activity, so there is nothing to be gained from hundreds of hours. Adcoms just want to see enough to be comfortable that you know what you are getting into. :cool:

Reactions: 1 user