Infraction as a minor (dismissed)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premeDO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am applying soon and wanted to get something straight about a violation when I was younger. I was in a self-defense fight when I was 15 at school and charged with an infraction for disturbing the peace. My school had a no fighting tolerance and the guy that started the fight got a worse punishment. This infraction was consequently dismissed after doing community service etc. There was no trial--just a probationary period.

I am currently 23 and have no other criminal issues. I know AMCAS and AACOMAS want to know about anything from misdemeanor and up...should an infraction as a minor be reported? In my knowledge, it is no worse than a traffic ticket. My pre-med advisor said I should not report it, however, I want to make sure.

Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

@Goro @gyngyn
I have noticed you two have graciously offered your experience as help in similar situations...

What happened in high school stays in high school.

If you get asked in any prompt for arrests/convictions etc, just check the box and explain; you'll be fine.

Hello all,

I am applying soon and wanted to get something straight about a violation when I was younger. I was in a self-defense fight when I was 15 at school and charged with an infraction for disturbing the peace. My school had a no fighting tolerance and the guy that started the fight got a worse punishment. This infraction was consequently dismissed after doing community service etc. There was no trial--just a probationary period.

I am currently 23 and have no other criminal issues. I know AMCAS and AACOMAS want to know about anything from misdemeanor and up...should an infraction as a minor be reported? In my knowledge, it is no worse than a traffic ticket. My pre-med advisor said I should not report it, however, I want to make sure.

Thanks all.

What happened in high school stays in high school.

If you get asked in any prompt for arrests/convictions etc, just check the box and explain; you'll be fine.
Thanks for the response. There was no arrest or conviction, however. So I don't know how I would explain it...Charges were dropped--but my record still has the dismissal on it.