Initial ABEM cert difficulty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grade4BorBor

AKA Borborygmus
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated residency a few months ago, and I haven't studied as much as I'd like for my upcoming initial ABEM board certification exam.

In your experience, is the exam for initial board certification more difficult than the ITE? Just wondering if I can continue my slower pace of study or if I really need to hit it hard. If it's helpful for context, I did well on the yearly ITEs.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's on par. I scored average for ITEs the first two years, didn't study and bombed the final year, but passed the written ABEM board. You should do fine as long as you have a plan and stick with it. PEER, Rosh Review, and/or HIPPO will be your best sources.

Reactions: 1 users
If you did decent on the ITEs, you'll do fine. I think most graduating residents who've had to study for ITEs and be vigilant with learning during residency would probably pass it their first year out without any preparation whatsoever. I crammed the last 2 weeks doing question banks before the test and passed comfortably.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OK, that's reassuring. Thanks Groove and bravotwozero.

Unfortunately the pass rate for 2020 oral is 0%

because everything was canceled. I kind of thought ABEM would've done the virtual thing sooner, I imagine someone at that org is missing a yacht payment for this grossly unnecessary and outdated exam that my work keeps asking for

Unfortunately the pass rate for 2020 oral is 0%

because everything was canceled. I kind of thought ABEM would've done the virtual thing sooner, I imagine someone at that org is missing a yacht payment for this grossly unnecessary and outdated exam that my work keeps asking for

If I have to take it, I'm glad it's moving to this virtual or Zoom-like interface! I like Chicago, but I'd prefer to do it from home.

I feel for the 2019 grads, having to wait longer for the ABEM certification merit badge. Good luck and I hope they don't leaving us new grads hanging much longer!

Yeah

Our residency did a lot of oral board exam prep stuff. I'm in the 2019 class that got hosed.

I remember absolutely nothing about oral exam stuff. It's been entirely replaced with useful knowledge.

Yeah

Our residency did a lot of oral board exam prep stuff. I'm in the 2019 class that got hosed.

I remember absolutely nothing about oral exam stuff. It's been entirely replaced with useful knowledge.

Don't sweat it. The oral board is a really easy exam. The AAEM prep was gold. Admittedly, I might have failed it if I hadn't taken that course but the content is not difficult. There's almost zero thinking on the cases. That does suck that you guys didn't get to take the exam though... I wonder what they'll do for 2021. They should make it online. It's expensive enough without having to pay for a round trip plane ticket and overnight hotel.

ABEM has a high pass rate. If you finish residency, you have a good chance of passing. You'll do about what you do on the ITE. I think the ITE is recycled ABEM questions.

Stay away from the EMS exam. 62% pass rate. I heard ABEM was that hard initially.

My ITE score was very predictive of how the written exam went. I did Rosh Review and PEER VIII in the months leading up to it just to stay fresh.

I paid for one of the oral boards courses and it was worth it for the peace of mind. My CME covered it, so it was no skin off my back. Most people do fine without it, though.

I get to re-cert this year (next month). Online test with open book. They’ll probably make the questions way harder to make up for it.
So is this online test timed?

Last edited:
I get to re-cert this year (next month). Online test with open book. They’ll probably make the questions way harder to make up for it.

Took mine earlier this month. I don’t think they really adjusted the questions from what it would have been, but who knows.

Pretty much the time limit and the manner in which the questions are asked.
I get it but in almost 5 hours, you can get most of the questions figured out. Again, I am not complaining and would do the online version

Pretty much the time limit and the manner in which the questions are asked.
This. They way the questions are written, you need to have knowledge of step one and two, and can use the resource to confirm your suspicion about the eventual answer choice (step 3). Of course cannot give any examples.

It’s like patients trying to Google their medical symptoms. You have to have a significant background medical knowledge to start your search, and of course Google doesn’t have every answer.

Overall I feel the test was well done.

Better than going to a testing center at 7 am where they strip search you and treat you like a prisoner.

If I have to pay for this scam, I'd rather sit at home and waste my time.