Inland Empire, 2021 Update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

true_dat

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
The previous discussion about hospitals in the Inland Empire was locked to further contact, so I had to create a new thread:

Spring, 2021 Update:

Riverside:

As predicted, Envision made an absolute disaster of Riverside Community Hospital, and is being kicked out June, 2021. Envision took over a 35-physician group and almost immediately turned it into a 7-physician/20+ locum group, and within a year they had to rely on CRNAs. It's now it's a care team model.

HCA is now bringing the department "in house." This has been HCA's trend elsewhere--and, in fact, may have been the reason Envision was given the contract in the first place. It's easier for me to believe that HCA knew Envision would fail and RCH would have no choice but to hire CRNAs, than it is for me to believe that anybody at HCA thought Envision could do a better job of running an anesthesia department than on-the-ground anesthesiologists who had been there for years and years. HCA recently kicked TeamHealth out of all their Florida hospitals, and are expected to do the same to their Envision sites in the state. Envision is losing contracts throughout Texas and Tennessee. Some of this pain may have been thanks to Covid, but most of it is just pure, raw, unadulterated greed and incompetence. Good riddance.

(I don't know if there are anesthesiology residents at HCA's Riverside Community Hospital, or not. They were supposed to start the residency in July, 2020. After a simple Google search, the closest that I can find to confirmation that it launched is that Envision is still running an ad for a residency director for a class of CA-1s to start 7/21. Who knows how old that ad is, but since Envision won't be around RCH come 7/21, it's an interesting proposition.)

Riverside Kaiser continues to advertise PRN positions for $150/hour. That is such an insult to me that I have never found out more than that.

Parkview hasn't yet kicked out Envision. As awful as Envision is, Parkview must be even worse if they don't dare show Envision the door.

In roughly the same neighborhood, Landmark (formerly of St. Vincent in LA) continues to run numerous ads asking for help in Murrieta, Pomona, and Chino Hills, presumably into Prime Healthcare facilities where IAMG has worn out its nepotistic welcome. Here's to hoping that IAMG bites the dust and Landmark inherits all the Prime Hospitals in Fullerton, Anaheim, and the Inland Empire. No matter what, Landmark has to be an improvement over IAMG.

Redlands Community Hospital

Redlands got beat up a little bit over in the "Anesthesia Positions" sub-forum a while back. Now I note that Optum is running an ad for an anesthesiologist to cross-cover Redlands Community Hospital and San Gorgonio Hospital (in Banning). There were rumors that United Healthcare was going to buy Beaver Medical Group (and its bloated physician management subsidiary, Epic). Since Optum is a subsidiary of United Healthcare and has taken over recruiting for RCH/BMG/Epic, it seems logical to presume that the merger is closer than ever...though, years later, not yet consummated.

More questions than answers about the job, to be sure, but what isn't up for debate is that real estate is much cheaper in Redlands. And, hey, now you get to visit Banning on the regular.

Arrowhead Regional Medical Center

This trauma center (known locally as Crackhead Medical Center) employs CRNAs and trains SRNAs. If the words "trauma," "crackhead," "CRNA, and "SRNA" haven't scared you away, I should mention that the department has a reputation as being led by a strong, no-nonsense anesthesiologist who won't be bullied by surgeons or administrators. I'm not here to say that is true or not, only that I'm impressed that he has cultivated such a reputation.

TL/DR: Envision was even worse for Riverside Community than I pessimistically predicted. Stay far, far away from the resultant mess.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
Envision was even worse for Riverside Community than I pessimistically predicted. Stay far, far away from the resultant mess.

The OP is speaking the truth...but being far too kind. I suspect he is unaware of how truly awful things have become.

Just a few headlines from the six months or so after the new anesthesia group took over:

-Code Silver (Armed Standoff) called to the anesthesia office

-Used fentanyl cartridges found in the call rooms

-Yelling matches at the OR front desk between the outgoing chief and the new chief

-Warring factions between the "old guys" and the "new scabs," such that the old guys wouldn't relieve the new guys (and vice versa) in the afternoons/evening. (They apparently let the old chief go, but then realized they had such a manpower crunch on their hands that they asked him to stay on through the transition. He's a nice guy and I feel bad for him, but he should have bounced.)

-CRNAs that were told they were going to be working independently, and took out their frustrations at being overseen on the patients and the surgeons

-East coast scabs (old, chart-signing monkeys brought out of retirement) who were told they were going to be overseeing nurses, who took out their frustrations at being assigned to do cases by themselves on the patients, surgeons, and nurses

-East coast scabs falling asleep in the OR, then blaming it on "jetlag," because 1:00 pm Pacific is apparently bedtime in Florida.

And these are just the things apparent to me on the other side of the drape. Who knows how much worse it was in the department itself. HCA created a military-grade cluster here. Not that we required more incentive, but now every surgeon is booking any case we can elsewhere in town. Surgical volume at RCH is now almost exclusively through the ER, and most of that is Medicaid. I don't know who at HCA HQ thought the solution was bringing in anesthesia residents to make the department even slower and less experienced...but I have yet to speak with a single surgeon who would prefer to take "a good resident case" to HCA, rather than nearby Loma Linda or Riverside University...and there's zero chance (NONE) that they will be booking private cases under the care of anesthesia residents.

P.S. There was as group that called itself Orion Anesthesia. Are they still around?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The OP is speaking the truth...but being far too kind. I suspect he is unaware of how truly awful things have become.

Just a few headlines from the six months or so after the new anesthesia group took over:

-Code Silver (Armed Standoff) called to the anesthesia office

-Used fentanyl cartridges found in the call rooms

-Yelling matches at the OR front desk between the outgoing chief and the new chief

-Warring factions between the "old guys" and the "new scabs," such that the old guys wouldn't relieve the new guys (and vice versa) in the afternoons/evening. (They apparently let the old chief go, but then realized they had such a manpower crunch on their hands that they asked him to stay on through the transition. He's a nice guy and I feel bad for him, but he should have bounced.)

-CRNAs that were told they were going to be working independently, and took out their frustrations at being overseen on the patients and the surgeons

-East coast scabs (old, chart-signing monkeys brought out of retirement) who were told they were going to be overseeing nurses, who took out their frustrations at being assigned to do cases by themselves on the patients, surgeons, and nurses

-East coast scabs falling asleep in the OR, then blaming it on "jetlag," because 1:00 pm Pacific is apparently bedtime in Florida.

And these are just the things apparent to me on the other side of the drape. Who knows how much worse it was in the department itself. HCA created a military-grade cluster here. Not that we required more incentive, but now every surgeon is booking any case we can elsewhere in town. Surgical volume at RCH is now almost exclusively through the ER, and most of that is Medicaid. I don't know who at HCA HQ thought the solution was bringing in anesthesia residents to make the department even slower and less experienced...but I have yet to speak with a single surgeon who would prefer to take "a good resident case" to HCA, rather than nearby Loma Linda or Riverside University...and there's zero chance (NONE) that they will be booking private cases under the care of anesthesia residents.

P.S. There was as group that called itself Orion Anesthesia. Are they still around?
I’ve seen a similar situation where hca kicked out the Hospitalist group. not answering pages, new inpt stroke missed for 3 days, discharging active gi bleed without work up one liquid, etc.

Is this all in California??? Heard envision made a mess of arizona - yet they still advertise for positions????

Everything OP wrote about ARMC is absolutely true. I don't know the numbers but I think the pay is low but the work is pretty chill, mostly supervision and lots of help available. When I was there, most of the anesthesia staff there were friendly, helpful and relaxed. I remember the camaderie being pretty great. I'm still friends with a few people I met there.

So what does this mean for incoming residents at riverside community hospital ?

Reactions: 1 user