Input from schools that rejected you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orthodoc40

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you know of any schools that will give you specific feedback on how to improve your application next time around, can you please let me know which ones they are? So far, all but one has told me to contact my premed advisor. Like that is so useful! Especially if you were interviewed at the school. What the heck will your premed advisor tell you about what the school liked or didn't like in your interview? Anyway. If people have gotten information, I'd love to know where from. Or how they got it!

Members don't see this ad.

Orthodoc40 said:
If you know of any schools that will give you specific feedback on how to improve your application next time around, can you please let me know which ones they are? So far, all but one has told me to contact my premed advisor. Like that is so useful! Especially if you were interviewed at the school. What the heck will your premed advisor tell you about what the school liked or didn't like in your interview? Anyway. If people have gotten information, I'd love to know where from. Or how they got it!
CU will hold rejected applicant meetings. Most schools don't offer this, and most won't reply to inquires on how to improve your application. Just call them all and see what you can get out of them.

University of Washington! If you don't get in, or are placed on the alternate list, you can meet with Dr. Samson, the dean of admissions. He's very straightforward about what the strengths and weaknesses in your application were, and gave me some really good suggestions on ways to improve my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rosalind Franklin University and New York Medical College will both set up phone appointments with you if you call.

I got good feedback from Vanderbilt and Mayo.

That's really amazing that schools are doing this now. Back when I was applying(I feel so old saying that), it was like trying to pull teeth to get any info about your application and what you could do to improve it.

I wasn't accepted my 1st application process, but now I am starting PGY-2.

So don't give up!!!

Yosh said:
That's really amazing that schools are doing this now. Back when I was applying(I feel so old saying that), it was like trying to pull teeth to get any info about your application and what you could do to improve it.

I wasn't accepted my 1st application process, but now I am starting PGY-2.

So don't give up!!!

Thanks! Congrats to everyone here for their persistence!
Well I contacted 5 of the schools I'd applied to and only one (Rosalind Franklin) grabbed my file and went through it for me. You'd think a school that actually INTERVIEWED you would bother to talk to you, but that wasn't the case for UMass.

I got outright rejected from UConn post-interview, and the rejection letter specifically said that applicants are encouraged to meet with the assistant dean for admissions. I'm from CT, so it was easy to get to a meeting, and I'm glad that I did. While I thought it was my GPA that killed me, the bigger factor was apparently my interviews (which was odd, because I felt great after my interview day). At least I know for the next time around.