Input needed on best way to get a group of premeds BLS certified

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackSquirrelMed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Recently I was elected to a programming position in a pre-med organization at my university. One of the goals I have for this position is to get all members of the chapter BLS certified. I am aware of the many different organizations that one can get trained with (local hospitals, fire departments, dedicated training centers, etc.), but I am concerned about affordability. I have not seen a class lower than $40, which may not seem like a lot, but in the community I hail from it may be an issue.

If anyone has organized a group BLS class before and has advice on how to make it more affordable, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I've worked as a patient transporter in a hospital for two years and BLS was taught for job placement. I'd suggest contacting your local hospital to see if they can train you guys. It's probably not going to be free though because their trainer needs to get paid.

The least expensive way would be to find a BLS instructor to donate their time to your group. They could then charge you the minimum AHA rate for the cards provided to your group.

I would also suggest inquiring about group rates or looking into fundraising.

I would talk to your athletic trainers/sports medicine program (if there are varsity sports on your campus). At our school, the head trainer was certified to train others in CPR/First-aid and actually led a course for credit through the wellness department. He came to the Health Club for a meeting to do a basic certification. We only had to pay for the cards and processing fees. Your school may have something similar.

Reactions: 1 user