Input on Grading

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rcedillo4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question. I took Organismal Biology (Essentially a General Biology II class) at my local community college a few years past and I got a D. This was because I had a death in the family at the time and it needed my upmost attention. I took the class again in my 4 year university and got a B. My question is:

When the professors look at the transcripts, will they look at the D and B and take the highest of the two and discard the D or will the D still be in effect and affect my overall GPA when I send in my transcript to the DPT school? Of course, come interview time I will need to explain the D in my transcript but I want to see if the D will irregardless be implemented on my overall GPA.

I'd really appreciate the input guys :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think that the fact that you re-took the class and got a B says a lot about you. I got a D in Kinesiology (dad got seriously ill)......re-took it and got an A. Also, I got a C- in General Bio II. I didn't re-take the class, however I got two A's and a B+ in the upper division classes that covered the same material but in greater detail (biochem, molecular bio, and physiology). I ended up getting accepted to two great programs and waitlisted at a few more. My suspect grades in those two classes never came up in interviews, but I know other candidates who were asked about poor grades. Hope this helps out...

My professor used to tell me that the A students manage corporate America, the B students work in corporate America, and the D students own corporate America. It's not all about grades...food for thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the PTCAS application, there's a spot where they ask if there's anything on your transcript that doesn't reflect your academic abilities, or something to that effect. You can use that space to explain that you had a death in the family when you took it the first time, and retook it and got a B. That's why that section is on the application. I used it to explain that the "independent study" on my transcript was actually a physiology course, because my school didn't offer an undergraduate physiology course so I did it separately. They definitely won't look down on you for taking it twice.

And each school does it differently, but I think most ignore the first grade if you retake the class.

I never knew that. That would really help.

I think the only concern is that a few of the DPT programs I wish to apply to don't have the PTCAS. If I do though, I'll definitely do that.

Thanks for the replies guys.