Input on Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oatstudentadvice

Reaction score
Hey guys! I am currently trying to decide which optometry school to attend and am having a hard time deciding. There are so many pros/cons with different schools but I would like to hear input from people with personal experiences. I am a resident of TX and have some prerequisite issues with UHCO, and UIWRSO is a private institution, so tuition is looking pretty much the same with my options. I am considering Midwestern (CCO), UMSL, Pacific, ICO, and UIWRSO. Board rates look pretty good for these schools (except CCO's is unknown and UIWRSO's is not the greatest). Does anyone have any input about these schools that I could take into consideration when making my decision?

Members don't see this ad.

Aside from academics, make sure you take into consideration what kind of environment you're searching for! Pacific is in a small town practically centered around their optometry school, whereas ICO is in a busy city with lots of things to do. If location doesn't have an impact on you then totally ignore this, but if you're already accepted into all of those schools are just comparing/contrasting, then definitely think about where you could see yourself for a few years!

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with ks25. Location is probably the biggest factor when considering schools. I am traveling to Pacific to check out their campus setting and will be going to NOVA after that to get an idea of what it’s like to live in both locations. Go to a school where you can enjoy yourself the most outside of class

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! It's so hard to decide when our interviews are virtual and we can't see the campus in person. I'm going to try my best to visit the campuses. I'm conflicted because a school like Pacific has a location that I guess I'm more used to and comfortable in, but a school like ICO has a city-like feel that I've never had exposure to! I thought it would be cool to try something new and be able to look back and be happy I tried a different lifestyle. So I guess I'm really conflicted on whether I should stick with comfort or venture out and try new things. I will definitely look more into it though, thanks!

Coming from someone with that also is more familiar with the Pacific setting, I suggest trying out the city to enjoy what you haven't had yet. I wouldn't want to live in a metro area but getting to experience it during grad school is an opportunity I don't think you should pass up.

I agree with you both! Take into consideration that because ICO is in a large city, that gives you the ability to see a diverse range of patients from a low-income community (pretty cool and would give you a lot of experience in the field) as opposed to a school that is in a suburban area! Just something else to think about

I would also consider something like class size if that is important to you! The schools you are considering range from about 45 students all the way up to about 140. If you think you would thrive better in a smaller class size versus a larger one, take that into account, or if you don't think this is something that will affect your learning environment, then completely disregard this! That is just something that has helped me with my decision in the process!

I agree with ks25. Location is probably the biggest factor when considering schools. I am traveling to Pacific to check out their campus setting and will be going to NOVA after that to get an idea of what it’s like to live in both locations. Go to a school where you can enjoy yourself the most outside of class
What about cost? While enjoying yourself is important, I'd say cost would be a very important factor also.

Thank you for the input guys!

I think I'm leaning towards a new environment! I think if anything, I would be glad in hindsight that I tried something new and spent at least a part of my 20's "expanding my horizons" (or at least as much as I can while being an optometry student haha)

I agree with you both! Take into consideration that because ICO is in a large city, that gives you the ability to see a diverse range of patients from a low-income community (pretty cool and would give you a lot of experience in the field) as opposed to a school that is in a suburban area! Just something else to think about
Definitely will keep this in mind!

What about cost? While enjoying yourself is important, I'd say cost would be a very important factor also.
I think since I mentioned cost would be around the same with my options (I eliminated the more expensive options) and board rates are okay, they were mentioning the next best factor to look at. But I definitely agree, cost is a very important factor.

Absolutely. Price is very important. The choice is a balance of factors. For me personally, with most schools tuition being so similar, where I would learn the best and grow as a person the best is my priority. Everything matters.