Inquiring about prep course instructors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RafMin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read that it is very important to inquire about the instructors for different prep courses in one's area. But how exactly does one go about in doing that?

Members don't see this ad.

You will need to find the administrative office for your region and probably visit it to get through to the manager. My PR course was in the Bay Area. The main office is in Palo Alto and the manager had strange hours so he could be reached by email. . . Once you find her/him you can ask for the names and qualifications of the instructors and how long they have been running that course. . . they will tell you all of the instructors are awesome.

Then, you will need to do some word-of-mouth searches to find STUDENTS who were in their classes. Preferably hard-working students vs complain-about-everything-and-never-do-the-homework students. This can be very hard to do. :(

I would warn you that obtaining reliable information could also be difficult because of how these courses are staffed. The schedules are set in stone months in advance and sometimes there are conflicts with instructor availability . .. leading to last minute changes in staff to fill the course schedule.

IMO: While the instructor is important to guide review of the material and for answering questions about Hw/passages YOU will make the most difference in this process. I had a great Physics, pretty good chem/ochem and a silly bio guy while my verbal guy was smart but useless since the PR verbal strategy was not useful for me. I did great, got a 38 after that inhuman effort. :). . .The MOST I got out of my prep course was the structure, the resources, and above all keeping up with the homework schedule while completeing all the practice tests and additional online passages.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, you shouldn't necessarily settle with knowing the prep course's standard credentials. You can inquire about the specific instructor who will be teaching your class. When I first took a course, I was able to find out how my instructor scored, and how long ago he'd taken the exam.

Also, you shouldn't necessarily settle with knowing the prep course's standard credentials. You can inquire about the specific instructor who will be teaching your class. When I first took a course, I was able to find out how my instructor scored, and how long ago he'd taken the exam.

Haha and I thought I was the only person obnoxious enough to request that information...