Inquiry on Optical Activity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

an aspiring doctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A passage that I read indicated if a compound was diluted to half its concentration than its optical activity would decrease as well. I want to cross check this with those that are efficient Organic Chemistry. If I decrease the concentration of a compound does the optical activity decrease from a positive rotation to a negative rotation?

Members don't see this ad.

The most you can decrease the concentration down to is 0, and when there is nothing, optical activity approaches zero as well.

So a complete sign reversal of optical activity is not possible when you're dealing with just one optically active species. The most you can change to is no activity at all.

A= Ecl
A = absorbance
E = Molar absorbtivity (specific for a compound)
c = concentration of substance
l = length of the container

No, a substance that has positive rotation will experience a decrease in rotation and a decrease in concentration simultaneously until it reaches a rotation and concentration of 0. Light passing through solution containing its enantiomer, on the other hand, will experience an increase in rotation with a decrease in concentration until it too reaches 0.