Inquiry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reluctantoptimism

Shrews and Trucks
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA and sGPA (approx. 3.7)

MCAT (taking in April 2015)

2 Years volunteering at youth center
6 Months research in chemistry (no pub-PI agreed to write strong letter)
Shadowed 2 doctors (IM and ER)
Served as board member for on-campus organization
Member of undergraduate program associated with local med school
Participant in national conference (model UN-1st place)
Volunteer at local/county clinic
LORs: PI, professor (upper level physiology course), Community organizer, Literature professor, on-campus faculty for school organization

In 2015 I hope to get a job in the medical field.

Would not having direct clinical volunteering be a problem (even if I had a job in the medical field)?

Schools:
All FL schools (6)
Emory
Rush
UMaryland
Wayne
Rutgers
NYMC
South Alabama
Howard

Thanks guys!:highfive:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Depends on the job. Urinalysis lab tech? Will hurt. Phlebotomist or respiratory tech? will help. You will need to show us that you want to be around sick and injured people for the next 30-40 years, hence the need for patient contact experience.

Would not having direct clinical volunteering be a problem (even if I had a job in the medical field)?

GPAs are all good for :
All FL schools (6)
NYMC
Emory
Rush
Wayne (maybe)
UMaryland
(if you're not an MD resident, then don't bother applying. They're hard on OOS).
Rutgers (don't bother)
South Alabama (don't bother)
Howard (unless you're URM, don't bother and do your homework.)

Thanks guys!:highfive:[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
UMaryland (if you're not an MD resident, then don't bother applying. They're hard on OOS).
Not to mention in-state! Of states that have a medical school, they are the second hardest state to get an IS acceptance (13.5%). Only applicants from WA state had lower odds of an IS acceptance (13.2%) this year .

Depends on the job. Urinalysis lab tech? Will hurt. Phlebotomist or respiratory tech? will help. You will need to show us that you want to be around sick and injured people for the next 30-40 years, hence the need for patient contact experience.

GPAs are all good for :
All FL schools (6)
NYMC
Emory
Rush
Wayne (maybe)
UMaryland
(if you're not an MD resident, then don't bother applying. They're hard on OOS).
Rutgers (don't bother)
South Alabama (don't bother)
Howard (unless you're URM, don't bother and do your homework.)

Thanks guys!:highfive:
[/QUOTE]

Why should I nix Rutgers and South Alabama (btw, I'm a URM)? I looked through the MSAR and I don't know what schools to put in place of Rutgers and Alabama.

The clinical job would involve direct patient care/contact.

Thanks!:thumbup:

Rosalind Franklin and Einstein in place of Rutgers and Maryland? Drexel in place of USA?

Which community do you represent? Neither Rutgers has accepted more than 1 OOS candidate/year historically. S AL admitted exactly 1 OOS.

I'm an African.

Last edited:
If you get a decent - ie 34+ (or 510+ ... whatever they use now), I think you are underestimating your ability to get into private institutions.