Insane or Competent? Death Row Segment on 60 Minutes Last Night

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimmybee

Internal Medicine Hospitalist, formerly med/peds
Reaction score
Did anyone see that segment on 60 minutes yesterday? I know the news show is a little old for all of us, but it was really intriguing yesterday. It was about a guy in Arizona who was sent to Death Row but was later found by numerous doctors (I believe 4) to be incompetent. Since incompetent prisoners cannot be executed, the state was looking for a physician who would treat this guy medically so he will no longer be incompetent so they can eventually execute him. After the state found that this violated almost every physician's code of ethics, they placed nationwide ads in an effort to find a physician willing to do such a thing. After a long time, finally, one doctor said he would do it. He examined the patient and just out of the blue said that the prisoner was competent. This diagnosis overruled the recommendations of 4 other doctors and the prisoner was immediately sent back to death row.

I'm sure that my naration of this story is not as good as the television program's, but it was scary none-the-less.

jimmybee

Members don't see this ad.