Inservice exam date???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

APACHE3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to schedule a vacation in October. When is the Inservice exam? Early October, middle or late? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Ask your PD about this - I'm not sure that the dates of the inservice are standardized nationally. My program would usually offer 2 different dates for us to take the exam, about a week apart from each other. Both days were always in October, but I don't remember when during the month they were.

I asked my Chief resident, but she was not sure either, but they are already requesting October vacation times, so I'm really in a tight fix here!!! :) oh well, life as an intern....

APACHE3 said:
I asked my Chief resident, but she was not sure either, but they are already requesting October vacation times, so I'm really in a tight fix here!!! :) oh well, life as an intern....

I'd say to just schedule your vacation -- they can't make you come back from the vacation just for your inservice. If it's being offered during your time off, then either don't take it or ask them to offer you a make-up date. The inservice isn't as important for IM as it is for surgery, since it's primarily used as a self-evaluation tool and not generally used for promotion. (especially since you take it so early in the year). Most programs I know of do not require their residents to take the exam, although they do "strongly encourage" it.

Also, your chief isn't going to know when it will be, likely only your PD knows. (and he/she probably hasn't even come up with the dates yet).