Inservice Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pry

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any pearls on what materials to use/books to read to prepare for the inservice exam. I am reading Cummings but will not get through most of it before the inservice. Are there any review books that are readable and cover the material tested?

Appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Related to the last post, where can one access questions banks specific to OTOHNS? I find I do the best learning in Q&A format. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are a few question books that I have. I have found them somewhat useful for the inservice review - they are a good resource to have if you buy them early in training and go over them each year so the questions stick...

http://www.amazon.com/Otolaryngolog...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217206912&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Cummings-Otol...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217207044&sr=1-1

Again, if questions are your thing - look at the past few years home study course Q&A's - a few always show up every year.

Many (?all) programs have banks of old inservice questions that people have remembered over the years. I would ask your senior residents about it. By far the most high-yield use of your time would be looking over the old questions, as there are usually quite a few repeats from year to year.

I'd also echo the previous recommendation for the Pasha review book which is excellent.

Overall, I wouldn't sweat the inservice too much though- it doesn't really have much bearing on anything. As long as you don't do horribly (ie <10th percentile), I doubt your department will care too much. I know its hard since we are all conditioned to stress about tests our whole lives...

I pretty much used KJ Lee and old questions. The in-service is stupid, but in our program to moonlight we had to get over 50th percentile so everyone studied and most everyone did totally fine with a little effort.

Woof. My program makes us take this as interns, and that wasn't pretty.

What are people using these days aside from KJ Lee? I have a copy of ENT Board Prep but I felt like 80% of the exam wasn't in KJ Lee or that book.

We took it as interns as well. As a chief, I always told me residents the following:

As an intern you should take the exam and have no idea what the questions even mean. (because your job now is to learn how to treat surgical patients, not how to be an Otolaryngologist).
As an R2 you should take the exam and know what some of the question mean, but not most of the answers.
As an R3 you should understand what the questions are asking, but have some trouble narrowing dowin the answers.
As an R4 you should know what the quesitons are asking and be able to narrow down the answers effectively.
As an R5 you should understand the questions and realize that in many cases the right answer isn't even listed.

The truth is that there are no books or study guides that really reflect the type of questions asked on the ENT inservice exam or the written board. All of the texts touch on the important issues, and if you ask me the texts provide more useful information. The inservice and the board exam are all broken down into 3 parts (as far as I am concerned):
Reasonable, clinically oriented questions.
New questions (that don't actually count towards your final score, but are being field tests)
Completely random crap questions, asked by someone who spends most of their time behind a computer and nearly none infront of a patient, directed towards very specific, non-standard-of-care research in very narrow niches of the field that you can only answer correctly through a lucky guess or by having by chance read the exact article they're referencing. They're just a small step about "guess what I'm thinking" questions.

You should know the first group cold. You will often do just fine on the second (not that it matters), and the last group is a total crap shoot. You cannot prepare for it other than to keep up to date on the literature as much as you reasonably can and hope to get lucky. You have a post-gradute degree, so you should be able to effectively weed out 1-3 of the bad answers to increase your chances of answering correctly. Some people say that some of the clinical case study guides that are out there are helpful, or some of the subscriptions that pull together useful articels...I never found that to be any more helpful than just reading a lot of journal articles at random.

As an intern, a LOT of the questions seem to fall into the last group, but that is simply due to the fact that you cannot be expected to know the full gamut of ENT as an intern 9 months into your training. That's stupid. I did very well each year that I took the inservice, and passed the boards with no trouble, and my experience (at least) was as I mentioned above. That being said even now I feel like a lot of the questions were low yield and not helpful for clinical practice. But they're not supposed to be. They're supposed to help identify the upper echelon residents (the great guessers or the guys who spend all of their time reading journal articles). I don't know WHY they feel like they need to identify those people, since no one ever asks how you did on your boards....seems like they should be more interested in just finding out who needs more help....but nonetheless....

It won't get any better on your boards, wherein you are asked to interpret sleep studies even though you are then not supported by ABOTO to actually read them in practice without a fellowship....etc., etc.....

Read a comprehensive text during the year (I always read Cummings, although that does get into the weeds), and when the inservice got closer I'd read KJ Lee...twice as an R2....although be warned that there are blatant misprints/mistakes in Lee...

By the way, a friend of mine said that old questions do help a lot, but I wouldn't know since that is against the rules...