Inside the mind of an AdCom...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulb cavernosum

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would an AdCom look at an MCAT score from 2003 (I know, I'm asking you to predict an AdCom's outlook on something...any brave takers?!). I only ask because if you don't have a "valid" score from, typically, 2005 or up, they won't even consider your app. But what if you have a score from 2003 AND one from 2007? It seems unfair (and slightly hippocritical) if they suddenly want to look at that earlier score! I ask only because I find myself without interviews and can only really rationalize this by assuming my 2003 score is kickin' my *ss.

Members don't see this ad.

If you give us more stats and schools you applied to, along with ECs, you'll probably get a better answer. You have to assume that the old MCAT score may make some difference because they do have it after all.

Quickly, 27 in '03 and 37 in '07. Double major bio/biochem, master's chemical engineering, 2 years biomed research and first author on paper (in prep). GPA 3.2. Applied broadly, mostly lower to middle tier schools. Average PS. Some shadowing, volunteer work, teaching experience, collegiate athletics. Complete everywhere, most in mid/late August or early Sept.

I'm really just curious about the MCATs. If they say they don't accept a score because it's too old, that should hold true regardless of whether that older school is good, OR bad! Just can't make heads or tails on this process...three holds and three rejections post-secondary, NO invites. I still have 17 allopathics and a DO, so I'm not FREAKING. I just thought I'd have better luck thus far. WTF:confused::confused::confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT is good, the prior one was too, especially for 2003, I'd think, considering the trend of averages going up. I think the 3.2 is holding you out. There is a similar thread on here about 3.4 and a 38 and it seems that an applicant with those stats will probably be able to get in somewhere but the GPA would not be overlooked. I don't know, others please respond, if the 3.2 is keeping you out, but I'm assuming that's the deal. Also, with those stats you'd probably have been better off applying in June or July when the number of applicants was lower. However, depending on the DO school you should see some love. Make sure you right superb essays on your secondaries to get noticed. Same with the PS but you can't go back now. If your PS was just average, compared to all the others, that may play against you, but not as signifcantly as the GPA. Again, take this with a grain of salt.

Quickly, 27 in '03 and 37 in '07. Double major bio/biochem, master's chemical engineering, 2 years biomed research and first author on paper (in prep). GPA 3.2. Applied broadly, mostly lower to middle tier schools. Average PS. Some shadowing, volunteer work, teaching experience, collegiate athletics. Complete everywhere, most in mid/late August or early Sept.

I'm really just curious about the MCATs. If they say they don't accept a score because it's too old, that should hold true regardless of whether that older school is good, OR bad! Just can't make heads or tails on this process...three holds and three rejections post-secondary, NO invites. I still have 17 allopathics and a DO, so I'm not FREAKING. I just thought I'd have better luck thus far. WTF:confused::confused::confused:

it's the GPA. actually, if I were applying now, all things equal I'd rather be in your MCAT shoes than some guy with a one-score 34-35. but the GPA's a problem. you'll probably get a little bit of a break because you did a rigorous science major, but hopefully you've maybe got an upward trend. or recent good grades or something. I mean the rigor & advanced nature of your coursework is good, but I feel like a 3.2 UG sort of translates to "would hover around or under the class mean next year" in adcomm minds. play up the stuff that makes them think: this guy's definitely smart enough (the 37), he might make the school look good doing some research/publishing/conferences (the science/research), he's going to get involved and be a decent little leader in whatever he does(the teaching/athletics), and you know what, I think he's got the passion to pore over his notes hour after hour, shine on his rotations, study hard and actually be a pretty good doctor someday. That last part is up to you to do a gut-check and get across to them (professionally).