insight needed into WashU, Yale, & OHSU programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gasdoc3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are people's perception of residents who have completed their training at WashU vs. Yale vs. OHSU?

I know these are very different programs, in very different locations of the country, but I wanted to get a sense of how career prospects might differ if one were to train at one of these 3 places.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt a meaningful answer is even possible; you'd need to know a dozen grads from each place to have a decent basis for comparison. I'm certain that no one on this forum can give you a meaningful, data-based answer.

Are you a 3rd year med student?

Thanks for the response PilotDoc.

Yes I am a medical student thinking about a career in anesthesia.

I've spoken with several anesthesia residents at my school and OHSU came up more than a few times as a great place to train. I had personally never heard of the place before, but it's been described as an "up and coming" anesthesia program. I've also heard lots of great things about the Chair, who I understand is a transplant from Hopkins. What doesn't sit as well with me is the fact that I'd never heard of OHSU before..and was wondering if, at the end of the day, name recognition trumps program quality when it comes to career prospects (both of which may not always go together, from what I've gathered).

Would training at a place like OHSU preclude me from entering academics? Or at least, make it harder, as opposed to going to a bigger name academic institution like WashU?

Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really want to do academics as a career, you'll want to do a fellowship, at which point your fellowship will have a significant influence on your career prospects. Any of the programs you listed will give you good fellowship options.

Was very impressed when I interviewed at Wash U. Also heard that OHSU was a good program and that Portland was very pretty. You can't go wrong with any of these 3 programs.

What are people's perception of residents who have completed their training at WashU vs. Yale vs. OHSU?

I know these are very different programs, in very different locations of the country, but I wanted to get a sense of how career prospects might differ if one were to train at one of these 3 places.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

It's hard to compare those individual programs, but in general on the west coast OHSU probably has a better rep than either of those programs. I know I'd go there over either of those places. Very strong in just about every area of anesthesia. And I have NO affiliation with OHSU.

Last edited:
It's hard to compare those individual programs, but in general on the west coast OHSU probably has a better rep than either of those programs. I know I'd go there over either of those places. Very strong in just about every area of anesthesia. And I have NO affiliation with OHSU.

Thanks for all the responses.

Pooh&Annie, just curious, what about OHSU would make you want to go there over the other two? Is it the location? I imagine all three programs are strong in about every area of anesthesia, so I'm curious to know what would set OHSU apart and make it a more appealing place to train than the others?

And as far as reputation goes, I can see how each of these programs might have greater regional recognition respectively as PilotDoc pointed out, but which do you think would offer the greatest flexibility & breadth of career options? If I were to train at OHSU, would I be limiting myself to a career on the west coast/oregon? Would it be the same for places like WashU/midwest vs. Yale/Northeast? In situations where you don't know where you want to end up geographically, is it safer to go to the "bigger-name" place?

On that note, lots of residents have also been telling me to train where I want to eventually live/find a job.. but does the location (and reputation) of your residency matter all that much or is it more important where you do your fellowship?

What are the biggest determinants of one's career path in this field? (Maybe that is the larger question that I am trying to get at!)

Thanks for all the responses.

Pooh&Annie, just curious, what about OHSU would make you want to go there over the other two? Is it the location? I imagine all three programs are strong in about every area of anesthesia, so I'm curious to know what would set OHSU apart and make it a more appealing place to train than the others?

And as far as reputation goes, I can see how each of these programs might have greater regional recognition respectively as PilotDoc pointed out, but which do you think would offer the greatest flexibility & breadth of career options? If I were to train at OHSU, would I be limiting myself to a career on the west coast/oregon? Would it be the same for places like WashU/midwest vs. Yale/Northeast? In situations where you don't know where you want to end up geographically, is it safer to go to the "bigger-name" place?

On that note, lots of residents have also been telling me to train where I want to eventually live/find a job.. but does the location (and reputation) of your residency matter all that much or is it more important where you do your fellowship?

What are the biggest determinants of one's career path in this field? (Maybe that is the larger question that I am trying to get at!)

You as an individual are the biggest determinant of your career path. You can do most things coming from 80% of all programs if your apply yourself. Your residency is what you make of it.

You as an individual are the biggest determinant of your career path. You can do most things coming from 80% of all programs if your apply yourself. Your residency is what you make of it.

4+ agree

For 99.5%, if not more, of career options, any big academic program is the same. If you want to be an NIH-funded researcher, ASA president and chairman of a major program, then program might matter. You'd need to find one of those people to ask which program was for you, though. They don't hang out here either.

4+ agree

For 99.5%, if not more, of career options, any big academic program is the same. If you want to be an NIH-funded researcher, ASA president and chairman of a major program, then program might matter. You'd need to find one of those people to ask which program was for you, though. They don't hang out here either.

So, is OHSU considered a "big academic program"?...