Insight Needed Re: Residency Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FPPGY107

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here. I have a question regarding residency interviewing. So here goes...My question is: How many interviews should I go on??? Here's a little background to hopefully help my question get answered. I'm a American IMG, 99's on both Step 1/2CK, good LORs, no research, and high GPA. I've applied to mostly rural and community FP programs (25 to be exact) and received 7 invites thus far. My question is, assuming I get 20+ invites, how many should I go on??? I don't have an unlimited expense acct, but I did apply to many programs within vicinity of one another (with 10 within 6h driving from my house). So should I cut some, making a top 10, 12, 15, 18, etc...go on all I interviews I get invited to??? Any insight would be much appreciated and I thank you in advance for your help....

Members don't see this ad.

Gosh, 25 seems like a lot. I don't know about the IMG situation, and how many more interviews you need to go on than a US grad (if any), though I would hardly think you need to apply to more than that, or go on more than 10 or so interviews, especially with really great boards and grades.

I'm only applying to 7 programs and will hopefully interview at all 7. Keeping it simple. :)

Best of luck!

Thanks Sophie...looks like you contribute a lot to this forum...kudos....I thought maybe I should cut it to 12, but also don't want to get overly confident and end up scrambling...anybody else with advice???

if you apply to 25 programs and find that you get 20-25 interviews (very likely), then just pick your top 6-8, i say.

if you apply to 25 and end up getting about 12 interviews, i say go to 10 of them. any less interview offers, go to all (obviously).

good luck!! :)