Insight on Non-Rolling Process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaramelDlite

Academic Gangsta
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any insight on how admissions committees make decisions when they are non-rolling? Are all interviewees reviewed around mid-February or do some schools make decisions on a continual basis? I completed most of my interviews in Oct-early Nov and it seems like it's been ages. Should I even be worrying when my fate may have already been decided??

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's the same as the rolling process, they just don't tell you until March. School's either accept you, hold you, or reject you. If you're accepted you'll be told in March. If you're rejected you'll be told in March. If you're on hold, you'll be re-reviewed at each meeting and either accepted, rejected, or held again, until eventually you're waitlisted.

No, you should not worry. Because what's the point? There's nothing you can do anyway. Enjoy the snow (or sun if you're lucky).

I think it's the same as the rolling process, they just don't tell you until March. School's either accept you, hold you, or reject you. If you're accepted you'll be told in March. If you're rejected you'll be told in March. If you're on hold, you'll be re-reviewed at each meeting and either accepted, rejected, or held again, until eventually you're waitlisted.

No, you should not worry. Because what's the point? There's nothing you can do anyway. Enjoy the snow (or sun if you're lucky).

I think this is right. The main difference between rolling and non-rolling is that non-rolling schools wait longer to tell you, which gives them more wiggle room to bump people (in either direction) they felt were borderline who interviewed earlier in the process.

At one non-rolling school I interviewed at, the dean said that they review interviewees the week after they interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
At one non-rolling school I interviewed at, the dean said that they review interviewees the week after they interview.

I think that's right...in fact, at one non-rolling school I was the last interview of the day, and as we parted ways, I turned right to go down the stairs and he turned left to go into a conference room teeming with the other interviewers chatting and thumbing through applications. :eek:

I think this is right. The main difference between rolling and non-rolling is that non-rolling schools wait longer to tell you, which gives them more wiggle room to bump people (in either direction) they felt were borderline who interviewed earlier in the process.

Wow good to know. Thanks! Care to share the school? Maybe I applied there...

Anyone know about BU?

Thanks!