Status
Does anyone have thoughts on the following:
-U Roch
-VCU
-MUSC
-Vandy
-Nationwide
-Brown

Past interview impressions threads are awesome, but can be outdated or missing so I was hoping for more input since these places are not around where I'm more familiar with. I imagine others may have their own "on the fence" programs so feel free to add any you're really curious about also!

mvenus929

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I interviewed at VCU a few weeks ago. I'm a bit biased, because I go to a medical school that's considered 'better' than VCU at a lot of things (in fact, one of our attendings goes there to do surgery specifically because they don't have anyone else there).

With that in mind, I wasn't very fond of the program. It seems that they're scrambling on how to implement the 'individualized curriculum' requirement from ACGME (other programs I've interviewed at have had something in place for many years), and they are doing a 2-week inpatient/outpatient block, where you spend two weeks on an inpatient service, then two weeks on outpatient services. You don't have continuity clinic during your inpatient time. On the plus side, they are taking the 'educational unit' thing to the extreme by allowing you to do one afternoon per week in your second and third year doing something besides your primary rotation or continuity clinic, which is nice (and essentially means that you'll have more educational units than there are months in residency).

I did get a really weird vibe from the residents, though. Can't describe it, and other people in my class have interviewed there and have not gotten that vibe, so not sure how much of that was just me.

Dec 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Could we start our own interviews impression thread? I'd love to share and hear what everyone is experiencing. It's hard to know if your experience was a one time thing or legit - and a lot of programs only have 1 or no feedback.

doopdidoop

7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Could we start our own interviews impression thread? I'd love to share and hear what everyone is experiencing. It's hard to know if your experience was a one time thing or legit - and a lot of programs only have 1 or no feedback.
+1