Insight would be greatly appreciated: Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trojantwc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I just finished taking my DAT yesterday, and while I was incredibly happy with my performance, I was brought back down to reality when I realized my GPA could still limit my chances of getting any acceptances.

I'd just like to approach applications this cycle with realistic expectations.

A little background:
- Non-traditional student (currently 27 years old): started community college around 21, transferred into university 2 years later and earned a B.A. in Biological Sciences May 2015.
- First year after transferring in was incredibly rough, and my grades suffered.
- GPA record shows an upward trend (raised it from a 2.9 with 2 withdrawals after the first year to a 3.4 at the time of graduation).

GPA information:
Community GPA: 3.81
University cGPA: 3.4
University sGPA: 3.44

Do dental schools look at grades from all institutions? A combination/average of the two?

DAT information:
Perceptual ability: 21
Quantitative reasoning: 23
Reading comprehension: 24
Biology: 20
General chemistry: 26
Organic chemistry: 23

TS: 22
AA: 23

Experience:
Volunteer at dental office: ~50 hours
Dental assistant (non-certified for 2.5 years before and during my time at community college): ~3000 hours
Other miscellaneous work: restaurant waitress, customer service for an e-commerce company, assistant at a podiatry clinic

Considering how behind I feel, I'd be happy to get into any school that is willing to extend admission. I'm hoping to maximize my chances by applying to as many schools as I can (roughly 25).

I don't have many pre-dental friends (mostly pre-med) and most say my GPA is concerning. It's been very worrisome hearing their input.

As far as personal statements go, I have one drafted, but writing has never been my forte, so I'm not sure how much that will help.

If any of you guys have similar experiences, or have a deeper understanding of the application process, I'd really appreciate any advice.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, browsing through the statistics posted on SDN has made me worry quite a bit.

Thanks so much for your input :)

Definitely have a good share of private schools on my list of potential dental schools right now. \

Your history sounds incredible. Congratulations on maintaining such great stats!

Thanks. It's not at all easy to do while working full time and managing all of life's other demands, but I've done my best. I'm sure you can relate.

Anyway, us old guys have to stick together. PM me anytime if you have any questions.
lolll I needed that chuckle. Thanks so much.

Reactions: 1 user