Inspirational books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iamnumber24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know any good "feel good" type books that are really inspirational. The types of stories where an underdog overcomes adversity and makes it. One good one I read was "Hot lights & cold steel" by Michael Collins, MD

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Michael Collins is awesome.

I recommend Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl

"There's a Monster at the End of This Book" starring lovable, furry old Grover.

SPOILER ALERT: The only monster at the end of the book is Grover.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Me too. I spun around in my computer chair and pulled it off the shelf to make sure I had the "lovable, furry" part right. Yes, I have it that close at hand.

Do you know that they made a sequel in 2000 with Elmo?

(I googled this)

Reactions: 1 user
Try Ben Carson's " Gifted Hands". Also, " It's Not About The Bike" By Lance Amstrong Is Awesome.

Do you know that they made a sequel in 2000 with Elmo?

(I googled this)

Yeah, don't care too much about Elmo. I think he's the Seseme Street spokesperson for the generation after me. The original with Grover cracked my **** up when I was little!! I enjoyed that "Golden Book" enough to keep when I gave away all my other ones. As I said, it still sits on my shelf today. :thumbup:

If you like sports at all (or even if you don't) you won't go wrong by reading John Wooden's autobiography. Wooden was the legendary UCLA basketball coach known for his motivational skills and he really gets what is important in life. He writes about a lot more than basketball in his book, and it is one of the most motivational reads I have had.

Yeah, don't care too much about Elmo. I think he's the Seseme Street spokesperson for the generation after me. The original with Grover cracked my **** up when I was little!! I enjoyed that "Golden Book" enough to keep when I gave away all my other ones. As I said, it still sits on my shelf today. :thumbup:

What I meant was the new one stars both grover and elmo, it looks cute.

I agree with you on the whole "spokesmonster" :D thing, it does seem like Elmo was much more popular in the generation following me BUT he actually started on Sesame Street in 1985 - the same year I was born. I guess at some point he just kept getting more and more airtime...

I read the Collins book, it was great.

There was a story I read in Reader's Digest recently about an illegal immigrant who went from migrant worker to Harvard trained neurosurgeon. He said his residency was more miserable than being a migrant worker, go figure.

David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell is a really good book that I enjoyed. My childhood dentist gave me the book, he said it helped him through much of his journey and it has helped through the beginning of mine!

The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown is a great one. Also Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. Ready Player One by Earnest Cline is a great read too (somewhat underdogish?)