Institute of the living

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

famdoc66

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was trying to get a list together of programs may apply to next year...I know its early but wondering if anyone had any insight on the institute of the living in hartford? ANy info would be great. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was trying to get a list together of programs may apply to next year...I know its early but wondering if anyone had any insight on the institute of the living in hartford? ANy info would be great. Thanks!

I don't know much, but here's what I do know. Take with grain of salt.

I have an acquaintance who went there. Decided to leave psych after PGY-1. Saw lots of complaining on Facebook about working all the time, but nothing unexpected really. I get the feeling that it was more of a personality clash between the resident and some attendings than a real problem with the program. I think. Resident stayed at IOL though, just switched fields.

I will also say that I read some interview reviews of IOL where what was conveyed at the interview (or reportedly conveyed), in terms of work hours, didn't really jive with what I was seeing with my friend's statuses. Again, I'm not saying IOL's work hours were abusive or anything, but it did appear, to me and outsider, that there was some mild minimizing going on at the interview.

Now, I didn't go to the interview, or apply there, so I can't say for certain, so take all this with a Big Mac dose of salt.

Places I DID go (some are a bit off the beaten path) that you should totally check out: Indiana U, MUSC, U Iowa, UVA, USC-Palmetto (SC), Vanderbilt, and Med Coll. Wisconsin.

I really will get to my reviews. In the middle of moving, should have time in about 2 weeks, so stay tuned to the review thread for those.

thanks so much for the opinion. Good luck with the move and I will definitely look forward to reading your reviews of those programs in the near future.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed there in 2006, so I don't remember enough to give you specifics and this is dated. My memory, overall, was that I was impressed by the program. The PD and Chair seemed very invested in resident education. The chair had a psychodynamic bent and was very keen on therapy being an integral part of the training and offered additional electives in therapy if that was requested. The hospital grounds are beautiful. I believe Olmsted developed the original landscaping? The hospital itself has a rich history. The residents seemed very laid back. I believe their work hours on psych were pretty benign. They may have worked hard on the medicine months, though. They're not really a research institution. However, they do have a neuroimaging lab there that puts out some good stuff.

I ended up putting them farther down my rank list for various reasons. However, I would have been happy to match there.

Of course, things may be very different since 2006!

BTW, it's Institute of Living, not "the" living. The latter sounds like a horror film. Just didn't want you calling them for information and using the wrong name. Best of Luck in your search.

I was impressed when I interviewed there a few years ago. I think they did quite a bit of call though compared to other programs. I remember Brown being nice as well and it's up in that area. If you want to come more south, consider UPenn as they have an excellent rep in the field. Although not top tier, if you are looking for a very solid, somewhat laid back program with excellent administration, I can't recommend RWJ more highly.