Institutional Action - Do I report this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annabanana96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I'm filling out the primary right now and stumbled upon this beautiful question:
Were you ever the recipient of any institutional action by any college or medical school for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violation, even though such action may not have interrupted your enrollment or required you to withdraw?

Backstory - in 2017 I received a warning for leaving a bottle of alcohol in my dorm after moving out for the summer (I know). No fine, no charges, nothing like that. I just had to apologize and go to a 90 minute alcohol program about underage drinking.

So I emailed the conduct board at my school cause I didn't know how to go about this. They told me that while I did receive a warning, "... we would not report out your history based on that sanction."
In the letter they would provide if asked for a disciplinary record check, it states that "a disciplinary record meeting these criteria does not exist for the person in question."

Do I still report this??

Members don't see this ad.

Don't take the chance, just own it. This is minor. We were all young and stupid once.
Thank you so much for replying! But agreed, I'd rather disclose it then have them find out another way. The disciplinary record does not disclose warnings, but I'm sure if whatever school I'm applying to wanted, they could ask if any warnings were given to me.
As a follow up, how will disclosing this information effect my chances? I'm gearing to apply to MD/PhD programs, and while I don't think this will be anything too major, I am curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for replying! But agreed, I'd rather disclose it then have them find out another way. The disciplinary record does not disclose warnings, but I'm sure if whatever school I'm applying to wanted, they could ask if any warnings were given to me.
As a follow up, how will disclosing this information effect my chances? I'm gearing to apply to MD/PhD programs, and while I don't think this will be anything too major, I am curious.
It wont

Hey guys,
So I'm filling out the primary right now and stumbled upon this beautiful question:
Were you ever the recipient of any institutional action by any college or medical school for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violation, even though such action may not have interrupted your enrollment or required you to withdraw?

Backstory - in 2017 I received a warning for leaving a bottle of alcohol in my dorm after moving out for the summer (I know). No fine, no charges, nothing like that. I just had to apologize and go to a 90 minute alcohol program about underage drinking.

So I emailed the conduct board at my school cause I didn't know how to go about this. They told me that while I did receive a warning, "... we would not report out your history based on that sanction."
In the letter they would provide if asked for a disciplinary record check, it states that "a disciplinary record meeting these criteria does not exist for the person in question."

Do I still report this??

According to AMCAS instructions, this does not need to be reported. Go in peace and thankful that you go to a school with sensible policies.

Reactions: 4 users