Institutional Action (or lack thereof) and Disciplinary Record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeaHusky

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
An ex-girlfriend accused of stalking her months after we had broken up during my sophomore year in college. This was due to someone leaving her anonymous notes and flowers. I later found out that she only reported me to our university because she apparently couldn't figure out who else it could have been. I was already with someone else for awhile and therefore had no motive (but I digress).

Long story short, the case was investigated and was settled informally. I wasn't found responsible and no sanctions were issued by the school. The director of the student conduct record said that she did not consider my case to be institutional action (since no responsibility was found and no sanctions were issued), and that her office would answer No if any medical schools were to ask.

My disciplinary record does reflect that an investigation occurred, although it also states that no responsibility was found and no sanctions were issued (as above). I'm inclined to answer "No" to the question of institutional action on the AMCAS application, especially since the director of the student conduct office said so. However, I'm concerned that medical schools will request my disciplinary/conduct record and think that I lied after seeing record of the investigation (even with no responsibility or sanctions being issued).

Am I being overly neurotic? Should I answer "Yes" to the question of IA just because I was investigated? Or am I being incredibly stupid since no responsibility was found and no sanctions were issued? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

An investigation is different than an IA.

You don’t have an IA.

She probably sent those to herself LOL

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not an IA
Sorry for the late reply.

My only concern is that I offered to take an alcohol and anger management assessment as part of the settlement. This was not requested by my school whatsoever, but they did note in the informal settlement that I undertook these assessments. The language does not reflect that I voluntarily offered these assessments.

Would voluntarily offering and subsequently taking these assessments be considered an IA? Again, the director of my student conduct office reviewed the settlement and said I didn’t need to report anything, since no responsibility was found and I wasn’t officially sanctioned under the Student Conduct Code.

I’m just concerned that medical schools will request my disciplinary records (do they do this if I answer “No” for the IA question) and think that I lied about having an IA after seeing a record of the informal settlement. I have saved the emails of the director assuring me I don’t have to report anything.

Should I answer “Yes” anyways, even if it will hurt my app? Or am I being neurotic as hell and shouldn’t worry? I have no idea if medical schools will even request my disciplinary records if I answer “No,” so I just want to cover all my bases.

Sorry for the late reply.

My only concern is that I offered to take an alcohol and anger management assessment as part of the settlement. This was not requested by my school whatsoever, but they did note in the informal settlement that I undertook these assessments. The language does not reflect that I voluntarily offered these assessments.

Would voluntarily offering and subsequently taking these assessments be considered an IA? Again, the director of my student conduct office reviewed the settlement and said I didn’t need to report anything, since no responsibility was found and I wasn’t officially sanctioned under the Student Conduct Code.

I’m just concerned that medical schools will request my disciplinary records (do they do this if I answer “No” for the IA question) and think that I lied about having an IA after seeing a record of the informal settlement. I have saved the emails of the director assuring me I don’t have to report anything.

Should I answer “Yes” anyways, even if it will hurt my app? Or am I being neurotic as hell and shouldn’t worry? I have no idea if medical schools will even request my disciplinary records if I answer “No,” so I just want to cover all my bases.
Still NOT an IA.
We were all young and stupid once; even if you clicked yes, it wouldn't be lethal, except at LUCOM and Loma Linda.

So quit fussing already.

Still NOT an IA.
We were all young and stupid once; even if you clicked yes, it wouldn't be lethal, except at LUCOM and Loma Linda.

So quit fussing already.
Thanks Goro lol.

I was just a little worried since the language in the informal settlement could be construed as requesting me to take those assessments. I guess it doesn’t matter as long as I wasn’t found responsible and no sanctions were issued.

I’ll just say “No” and stop being neurotic lol

Reactions: 1 user