institutional block rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tungsten87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I wanted to start a discussion regarding the increasing prevalence of "block" rotations that many institutions are starting to implement for pharmacy students. The hospital associated with my COP began one of these programs two years ago. It is relatively competitive and all 11 rotations are completed at this particular institution. Obviously there are various pro/cons but the assurance that all the rotations would be of high quality and the potential to have a more continuous learning experience with continued feedback outweigh the negatives IMO. For the residents, and preceptors on here, what is your opinion on this type of experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the reduced variety in experience would be a detriment. While the continuity of experience would be nice by spending so long at a single institution would be nice, you miss out on the challenge (aka learning expereicne) of getting up to speed in very different situation (new hospital, EMR, etc) and showing that you can thrive in multiple settings.

As a student I think your goal should be to maximize the variety of experience. You will have plenty of time to be focused at a a single institution during residency.