instrumentation induced cartilage degeneration - help finding this study!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

oreosandsake

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had read/heard about a study where they opened up a rabbit's knee, only touched the surface with instrumentation, and then closed. sacrificed animal later. used contralateral knee as control. conclusion showing that purely touching the cartilage caused degenerative changes...? Been looking for this for almost 2 hours and I cant find the study on pubmed

any help?
 
I find it hard to believe that simply touching hyaline/articular cartilage induces degenerative changes, especially when considering where it's found and why it's found there. That said, this study appears to be similar to what you are describing, though not exact. I admittedly only searched for a few minutes, so it's possible the study you described is still lurking out there...

http://car.sagepub.com/content/3/4/323.short