1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

instruments/equipment

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by ariel winter, Nov 16, 2005.

1. ariel winter

ariel winter Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

can someone list all or some of the instruments/equipment needed for OD school? (i am confused now, because my friend is in OD school and he says he bought a stethoscope... is this needed? what for?) :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sco1styear

5+ Year Member

Stethoscope used for listening to the blood when taking blood pressure.
    Our school buys the equipment for you and it's part of your tuition.

4. ariel winter

5+ Year Member

oh yeah, i know what a stethoscope is for... sorry for being ambiguous... i was just wondering if i needed one for OD school... :) so i do then?

5. 4Eyes

5+ Year Member

Optometrist
    Some schools require them, some recommend them.

You will probably do BP's in clinic class, and you will at least need to know how to train your techs someday. High blood pressure may put you at risk for things like glaucoma, so it is very relevant even in an optometry practice.

I don't have one, but I plan to get one next year. Even if I find that I don't use it often, it never hurts to have around. Equipment is MUCH cheaper while you're school!

6. markdo3549

markdo3549 VCOM 2010
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone know if UAB requires stethoscopes? What type of equipment do they want you to have? Thanks, Mark

7. ML1983

ML1983 PCO Class of 2010
    5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Does anyone know what equipment we need at SUNY? Thanks

8. sco1styear

5+ Year Member

These are probably not things you should be worrying about...
    The school will let you know what you need and at SCO it's just part of your tuition and you get the equipment at each registration before the quarter starts.

9. UABopt

UABopt Member
    5+ Year Member

I have to agree with what the others have said here... don't worry about it yet!!! Each school does this a little differently. At UAB we elect an equipment rep and they responsible for getting us a "deal." I spent about $5000 dollars on equipment. I like the way our class does this as you can choose the equipment that is right for you. Just in case you really wanted to know here is a list from a while back I don't think much has changed.... but you never know. Again this would be the last thing that I would be concerned about.

1. diagnostic kit, Direct ophthalmascope, retinoscope, and transilluminator -we will definitely need one of these, so this is a safe purchase. Prices vary between ~500-700 depending on brand.

2. Trial lens set and Trial lens Frame (we only need the minus variety of cylinders) Again ~$500 for a new set but can go up to as much as 775. I have been told that the $500 price is a good one to shoot for, and that the more expensive lenses aren't necessarily better, they just may have golden handles or what-not.

3. Sphygmomanometer and stethoscope- will need 3 sizes of cuffs, pumps to higher than 200mmHg, and the stethoscope is of the cardiac variety (dual tube recommended). Most likely ~$125.

4. 14 plate color vision test- Must be Ishihara test-If we go in as a class on this, we will probably save $$$ ~$110

5. Stereo Test-Must be Randot type. $100-$150.

6. Horizontal Prism Bar and Vertical Prism Bar with cases- $100-$200

7. Loose Prism set- either a 16 or 22 piece set. 22 rec.

8. Lens Clock- ? Purchase? Not sure. Probably would wait on this one. Costs~$100.

9. Multiple Pinhole Occluder-Could possibly find free at exhibits. If not, ~$8.

10. PD ruler- Should be free.

11. Cover paddle with Maddox Rod- About $10. Make sure there is no "black ring" around the red portion of the Maddox rod

12. Flipper BAr( +/- 2.00D) Costs~$29

13. Bernelli Card with M notation and Amsler Grid on back. ~$5-10.

14. Topcon Brand Rotary Chart- Must be Topcon! ~45.

END of FIRST ORDER (sometime in June ~2000 big ones!

Second Purchase:

1. BIO- Will definitely have to have. From $1200-1500.

2. 20D condensing lens- from $100-150.

3. Chose one of 60D, 78D(recommended), 90D, or superfield. $50-200 depending on choice.

4. G3 Goniofundus 3 MIrror and Flange- BEWARE OF THIS ONE! When ordering this one, make sure it is exactly as stated. There are many of these and we have to have this exact one. (At least, this is the one last year had to have!)

5. 4 mirror gonioscope

6. Janelli clips~$65

7. Retinoscopy bars- optional ~125 bucks

8. "Pencil scleral depressor- ~$40.

10. markdo3549

markdo3549 VCOM 2010
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Thanks UABopt, that is quite a list. I just wanted to know more for my information than anything. I will definitely wait until school. Thanks again, Mark

11. Bhartiben Patel

5+ Year Member

Stethoscope - ah I only used this when I needed to take blood pressure before preparing a patient for a laser procedure.. I am not sure about ODs though. I could imagine systemic bp correlates with ocular pressure??

We definately will need a 78 and 90 lens and opthalmoscope (did I spell that right??)

12. ariel winter

5+ Year Member

thanks for the list! really helpful! what about whitecoats? do we need those! :)

13. Ben Chudner

Ben Chudner Senior Member
    Optometrist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    BP measurement is a very important part of the optometric exam.

14. rpie

rpie Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

So true ! Just finished an exam on a 57Y.O. with a bp of 151/95. Pt had not been to a PCP in 10 years. DFE showed 3+ hypertensive retinopathy.

15. ariel winter

5+ Year Member

i asked this before... do we need whitecoats at all (for rotations or labs, etc...)? :)

16. rkl_OD2be

rkl_OD2be UMSL class of 2010
    7+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Ariel:

When I interviewed at both SCO and UMSL, they talked about the "white coat" ceremony (at UMSL it was at the end of the 2nd year after passing proficiency exams) that was a rite of passage signifying the conveying of clinic privileges, etc.

So, to answer your question, I think they are provided when you're ready to start seeing "real" patients in the clinic...