Instruments for school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been told to wait until I start school before I buy things but my friends and relatives all seem to want to get me things I'm going to use in med school (stethoscope, otoscope, ophthalmoscope). My questions is what kind of quality do you need. I think a good name is important for a stethoscope (for example, Littman) but there is still about $150 range (from standard to Cardiology) and some included more things (like pediatric attachments). What do I need?

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking from experience, I have carried a Littman for almost 9 years...any of them will do the job. I am a resp therapist and used to auscultating breath sounds which can be tough. I use a Littman pediatric for kids and a Littman classic 2 for adults, both with extra long tubing. I have used those $$$$ Cardiac Master 3 and could really appreciate ZERO difference...except a notibly diminished feel in the old checkbook!!

As for the rest, I understand some of the product reps cycle around with great deals on what you'll be needing.

Myself, I plan to wait.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
Senior, Neurosciences
Univ of Texas at Dallas
Class of 1999

I would have to agree with Dave.. I would wait. I am going to school in August and I am eager to get started. I am such a gadget freak that I would jump on the chance to start buying things for school. But I am sure that it would be best to find out from the school what you'll need before you go on your shopping spree. Just remember the loan..
Good luck!
smile.gif

Duke

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay,

As far as stethescopes go I recommend getting at good one. You will be learning on it for years. When you are training your ears to hear the various intracacies of heart sounds, you do not want to handicap yourself with an instrument that makes it harder to hear certain parts of the frequency range. There is a difference between many of them in audio quality. No offense, but nurses and respiratory therapists have quite different uses of scopes than physicians. Listening to lungs and pulses is easy, in terms of the frequency range and fidelity demanded of the scope. The cardio stuff is what you will wish you had a good scope for. If have the oportunity to listen to a variety of them in a quiet environment, I promise you will hear a difference between the $50 models and the $150 dollar models. Go to a medical bookstore and try them out.

At CCOM most people bought either a Littmann Cardiology 3 or a Cardiology Master. You should pay no more than $160 and $180 for them, respectively. If you do, you are getting ripped off. Hewlitt Packard makes a very good one too. I hated the Tycos-Welch Allyn scopes-they pick up way too much room noise for me-but some people swear by them.
Rule of thumb when buying one:1) a double lumen is a must have, it is okay if it is a double lumen single tube, but single lumen offer inferior sound quality.2) make sure it is comfortable (ear pieces aim forward)

Diagnostic kits (ie. ophthalmoscope/otoscope, etc.) should cost no more than $350. Get a Welch-Allyn. You may not need this in your first year, so check it out before you buy. If you are going to CCOM, you will need a stethescope by the end of your first quarter and a Dx kit by the beginning of your second.

Johan Aasbo
MS-1 CCOM

I'd wait until you get to school. One of the clubs on campus (SOMA, I think, at UOMHS) had an equipment sale. I think Master Cardiology stethoscopes sold for about $130. Welch/Allyn diagnostic kits sold for approx. $250-$300. Since we bought in bulk we got really good discounts. If you're school doesn't do that, it's a good idea for a fundraiser for any clubs someone may join. Another club also had a sale for OMM tables. I think I paid $450 or so for the table and travel case. Again, it's a good fundraiser. If, by chance, someone attends a school that doesn't have an equipment sale, let me know (at [email protected]) and I can connect you with whoever does our sale here.