Insulin in nasal spray form?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ravuu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there currently a marketed brand of insulin thats in the nasal form?

Members don't see this ad.

Glycerin said:
I posted this thread on it not too long ago.
That is not really nasal... its got its own device, not like an inhaler (bigger) and not like nasal spray. I think he was asking if there were any ones out now or in the pipeline (being developed or soon to come out) that will be nasal mist delivery. Maybe I misunderstood but that is what I thought the OP meant. Or maybe he misunderstood "inhaleable" which is different from "nasal." Unless I'm misunderstanding those words :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
DHG said:
That is not really nasal... its got its own device, not like an inhaler (bigger) and not like nasal spray. I think he was asking if there were any ones out now or in the pipeline (being developed or soon to come out) that will be nasal mist delivery. Maybe I misunderstood but that is what I thought the OP meant. Or maybe he misunderstood "inhaleable" which is different from "nasal." Unless I'm misunderstanding those words :confused:

You're correct. It's late, and I should be sleeping... Haha. :oops:

I couldnt imagine all the problems with reliable reporducible dosing in a nasal spray form. snot, dry mucus membranes and everything else would mess the dosing up. Im starting to worry how well the inhailed is gonna work.

My newspaper today had a big article about John Patton - the guy who cofounded Inhale Therapeutic Systems (later renamed Nektar). He spent 20 years & most of his savings to get Exubera approved. He started working for Genetech on this, but they gave up after 4 years (& 4 million dollars). He & Robert Platz from SRI formed their own company to pursue this research. It finally paid off when it became approved & they are already working on an updated version.

His background is BS in zoology & biochem from Penn State, Masters from Univ. of Rhode Island, PhD in bio from UCSD & post docs in biomedicine from Harvard & Univ. of Lund, Sweden. His PhD thesis was in fat digestion in fish (totally unrelated to anything he does!). Funny guy & one of those live on the edge folks. I guess - believe in something strongly enough & sometimes it works out - gotta hand it to him!