Insulin in nasal spray form?

Started by ravuu
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Glycerin said:
I posted this thread on it not too long ago.
That is not really nasal... its got its own device, not like an inhaler (bigger) and not like nasal spray. I think he was asking if there were any ones out now or in the pipeline (being developed or soon to come out) that will be nasal mist delivery. Maybe I misunderstood but that is what I thought the OP meant. Or maybe he misunderstood "inhaleable" which is different from "nasal." Unless I'm misunderstanding those words 😕
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
DHG said:
That is not really nasal... its got its own device, not like an inhaler (bigger) and not like nasal spray. I think he was asking if there were any ones out now or in the pipeline (being developed or soon to come out) that will be nasal mist delivery. Maybe I misunderstood but that is what I thought the OP meant. Or maybe he misunderstood "inhaleable" which is different from "nasal." Unless I'm misunderstanding those words 😕

You're correct. It's late, and I should be sleeping... Haha. 😳
 
I couldnt imagine all the problems with reliable reporducible dosing in a nasal spray form. snot, dry mucus membranes and everything else would mess the dosing up. Im starting to worry how well the inhailed is gonna work.
 
My newspaper today had a big article about John Patton - the guy who cofounded Inhale Therapeutic Systems (later renamed Nektar). He spent 20 years & most of his savings to get Exubera approved. He started working for Genetech on this, but they gave up after 4 years (& 4 million dollars). He & Robert Platz from SRI formed their own company to pursue this research. It finally paid off when it became approved & they are already working on an updated version.

His background is BS in zoology & biochem from Penn State, Masters from Univ. of Rhode Island, PhD in bio from UCSD & post docs in biomedicine from Harvard & Univ. of Lund, Sweden. His PhD thesis was in fat digestion in fish (totally unrelated to anything he does!). Funny guy & one of those live on the edge folks. I guess - believe in something strongly enough & sometimes it works out - gotta hand it to him!