Insulin resistance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theTruth_97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
so I get that Diabetes Mellitus Type II involves the patient being insulin resistant (with eventual beta cell failure so no insulin will be formed)........but I get confused by what the phrase "insulin resistance" means. Like what I'm having trouble comprehending is why insulin resistance would lead to increase in fat deposits in patients.

I know that insulin promotes lipogenesis, but if the patient is insulin resistant how is this mechanism still occurring- shouldn't insulin not be able to perform any of its actions?

sorry its probably an extremely basic concept but I just cannot get my mind around it.

Members don't see this ad.

Conceptually, insulin resistance means that despite a relatively normal production of insulin, there is a marked decline in the effects of insulin in the body. The mechanism associated with this is a decreased uptake of insulin by the cells.

Once in the cells, insulin has many effects. One of them is moderating the activity of hormone-sensitive lipase. Insulin essentially suppresses the lipase. Insulin resistance > decreased insulin in cells > decreased suppression of HSL > greater mobilization of fatty acids > high serum lipid profile.

The pathophysiology of diabetes also plays a role in the formation of atherosclerotic plaque both through the increase in LDL and also by glycosylating that LDL when it sticks to the endothelium. This predisposes to phagocytosis and the formation of foam cells.