Insurance for Vet Students

Started by pigsatuga
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pigsatuga

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I saw an older post (2011) regarding health insurance for vet students, but now with the new healthcare laws, I'm unsure of what to expect. Originally I was looking at the AVMA GHLIT student insurance, but now the online PDF of that plan has a new note attached: "THE GHLIT MEDICAL COVERAGES WILL NOT BE RENEWABLE BEYOND DECEMBER 31, 2013. ANY GHLIT MEDICAL COVERAGE IN FORCE ON THAT DATE WILL END."

So, does that mean that this plan will no longer exist after December? Does anyone know of any student health insurance that will cover both rabies vaccines AND maternity?? My school has a provider that they work with, but the rates and coverage aren't as nice as the GHLIT.
 
You are correct that the AVMA insurance is going away.

Penn student health insurance covers rabies shots. It is through Aetna student health if you want to look into the maternity thing. I've been very happy with the student health center and the student health insurance.