drdavemd

Attending
10+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2009
Gainesville, FL
Status
Attending Physician
Depends, your chances are pretty good if you want to stay at your home institution. That also is impacted by how many people in your PGY year want to stay. In my limited experience, once you have gotten into and completed a general Cardiology training program, if you are competent and desirable to the program they are willing to keep you on for interventional training.

OP
R

redlined

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
Thanks for the reply, but my program does not have an interventional fellowship. I am interested in applying out and wondered how difficult it is.

Thanks

Myostatin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
Getting an interventional fellowship is easy.... the bottleneck is getting into a general cardiology fellowship.

Jul 26, 2009
Status
Getting an interventional fellowship is easy.... the bottleneck is getting into a general cardiology fellowship.
Really? I though the people who I worked with as a student (just past summer) they said that it was a killer getting in...but mind you - these guys have been practicing for atleast 15 -20 yrs...

tibor75

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Programs typically take their own. So, your chances are dependent upon how many programs there are that won't fill internally. This is one situation where having somebody to bat for you will really help. Hopefully some of the cardiologists at your institution that know you know other people and can call around to see if there are spots open for you.