Int Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redlined

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How competitive is obtaining an interventional fellowship?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Depends, your chances are pretty good if you want to stay at your home institution. That also is impacted by how many people in your PGY year want to stay. In my limited experience, once you have gotten into and completed a general Cardiology training program, if you are competent and desirable to the program they are willing to keep you on for interventional training.

Thanks for the reply, but my program does not have an interventional fellowship. I am interested in applying out and wondered how difficult it is.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting an interventional fellowship is easy.... the bottleneck is getting into a general cardiology fellowship.

Getting an interventional fellowship is easy.... the bottleneck is getting into a general cardiology fellowship.
Really? I though the people who I worked with as a student (just past summer) they said that it was a killer getting in...but mind you - these guys have been practicing for atleast 15 -20 yrs...

Programs typically take their own. So, your chances are dependent upon how many programs there are that won't fill internally. This is one situation where having somebody to bat for you will really help. Hopefully some of the cardiologists at your institution that know you know other people and can call around to see if there are spots open for you.