Intact male cats....urine issue?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WhtsThFrequency

Full Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My newest foster is a young, intact male cat. He's quite the sweetheart, purrs like a motorboat....only problem is, his pee smells enough to make my eyes water. No UTI or anything...I'm assuming it's because he isn't neutered yet? (I feel like I should know this by now, but I don't 🙄) He doesn't spray...this is just normal litterbox pee. After he goes it isn't long before the entire apartment positively reeks. Is my only option, until he is fixed, to load up on baking soda and change the litter multiple times a day? Whew.....I've only fostered kittens and female cats till now. Is there anything else, to anyone's knowledge, that I can do?
 
Yes. You have just discovered one of the main reasons that indoor male cats are neutered! I don't think there's anything you can do other than lots of baking soda (in the litter). And get him scheduled for a neuter soon! How old is he, 6mo.+?
 
Yes, he is scheduled to be neutered in about a week and a half (thank goodness!). He's somewhere around 6 mo. - we aren't really sure cause the rescue just pulled him from the pound maybe a few days ago and we haven't given his teeth or anything a thorough exam...I would guess definitely under a year. He's still youngish and lanky looking. Thanks for the info, I suspected it was just the fact that he was intact.