Integrated Plastics Programs??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhrugger

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if there is a list of integrated plastics programs to apply to right out of school?

Members don't see this ad.

on plasticseducation.com the site moderator has made a PRS guide with a pretty good list of integrated programs.

Hi, the truly integrated programs that I can recall are:
Loma Linda
Michigan
UTSW
Baylor
Wisconsin
MCW
Yale (new for 07-08)

Hope this helps you out!

Members don't see this ad :)
There are 40 something programs that you can apply to through ERAS right out of med school, and I would venture a guess that about half are integrated and the other half combined. I agree with checking out plasticseducation.com to find a list, although much of what is said in particular regarding each program isn't always accurate.

Although I haven't kept up with the number of truly integrated programs recently, I'm fairly certain that the integrated/combined ratio isn't 1:1. There are many more combined programs, fueled by general surgery trained plastic surgeons from an earlier generation (e.g. NYU, Duke, Hopkins ideology) and the difficulty in logistically making an integrated program happen. I'm sure that there are more integrated programs then I've reported- individual websites and those closer to the interview trail should provide a more accurate number. Any recently matched residents willing to clarify?

Although I haven't kept up with the number of truly integrated programs recently, I'm fairly certain that the integrated/combined ratio isn't 1:1. There are many more combined programs, fueled by general surgery trained plastic surgeons from an earlier generation (e.g. NYU, Duke, Hopkins ideology) and the difficulty in logistically making an integrated program happen. I'm sure that there are more integrated programs then I've reported- individual websites and those closer to the interview trail should provide a more accurate number. Any recently matched residents willing to clarify?

Actually I am a recently matched resident who is more than fairly certain the ratio is close to 1:1.

I did not interview at all of these programs, but these are the ones I am aware of that report being approved integrated programs:
Northwestern
Stanford
Georgetown
Kansas
UC Irvine
Nevada
Northwestern
USC (supposedly switching this year)
UTSW
UTMB
SIU
Albany
Missouri-Columbia
Wake Forest
Wisconsin-Madison
Loma Linda
Kentucky
Harvard
Michigan
Baylor
MCW
Pitt
Yale

That totals 23, out of the 40 something total programs.

does anyone know if there is a list of integrated plastics programs to apply to right out of school?

I am not trying to imply that you do not know the terminology, but it can be confusing so I will try to clarify for other readers (very basic):

Independant (traditional): 2-3 year fellowship after completion of GS residency

Combined: Match out of med school, complete 3 years as a GS resident, switch over to plastics

Integrated: Match out of med school, plastics resident from day 1 (still complete GS requisites, just tailored towards plastics)

Well, jaydoc, I stand corrected if that is indeed the case- thank you for clarifying this issue. There were about 6 integrated programs in 99-00 when I applied. I'm glad to see that integration has really taken off.