Integrating Goljan RR and Pathoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gunneria

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

For the sake of condensing information while still gauging depth and having to flip back to both RR and Pathoma (just too much info overflow), has anyone simply tried to annotate Goljan RR into the 200-page Pathoma or is that simply not possible?

I think what I read from how people used both was to read/watch the Pathoma section first and then read Goljan. Or perhaps just watch Pathoma, hear Goljan, and just avoid the Pathoma book altogether. Not sure what's best if you are someone who wants to hit all the details for both coursework and step 1 while just having a single source to study from (if thats even possible).

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds like somewhat of a waste of time, not to mention nearly impossible to get all those small details Goljan has buried in RR. Which brings us to this:

Not sure what's best if you are someone who wants to hit all the details for both coursework and step 1 while just having a single source to study from (if thats even possible).

If this is what you want, RR is what you need.

I own both RR and Pathoma, what I found useful is to start reading the systems section I decide (e.g. GI) and cover anatomy and physio; once I get to Path, read the Pathoma section first, then watch the lectures and annotate into the Pathoma book. Once I'm done, I'll go back to FA, finish reading the Path section there and the rest of the section, and then read RR.

It takes a lot of time but this strategy has been useful to me, keeping in mind I'm an IMG and I have all day to study for the exam.

I own both RR and Pathoma, what I found useful is to start reading the systems section I decide (e.g. GI) and cover anatomy and physio; once I get to Path, read the Pathoma section first, then watch the lectures and annotate into the Pathoma book. Once I'm done, I'll go back to FA, finish reading the Path section there and the rest of the section, and then read RR.

It takes a lot of time but this strategy has been useful to me, keeping in mind I'm an IMG and I have all day to study for the exam.

I'm also thinking of doing so on similar lines.... How long do you think it'lltake tofinish up the whole material this way ........

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

If you had to choose between Goljan RR and Pathoma, which would it be and why? My test is in the coming few weeks and I'm really looking to narrow down my resources. I already have the RR 3rd edition, would have to print the Pathoma if I was going to do that. Started listening to Goljan audios in my car today as well. But what really is the difference between Pathoma and RR? Can someone who's used Pathoma and RR both really break it down for me? RR used to be the "gold standard" in Pathology, but lately I've been hearing students rave about Pathoma. So what's it really all about?

Hi,

If you had to choose between Goljan RR and Pathoma, which would it be and why? My test is in the coming few weeks and I'm really looking to narrow down my resources. I already have the RR 3rd edition, would have to print the Pathoma if I was going to do that. Started listening to Goljan audios in my car today as well. But what really is the difference between Pathoma and RR? Can someone who's used Pathoma and RR both really break it down for me? RR used to be the "gold standard" in Pathology, but lately I've been hearing students rave about Pathoma. So what's it really all about?

Dr. Sattar breaks everything down conceptually and does a great job simplifying pathology. Goljan audio does the same more or less, but with Pathoma you can visualize everything with the videos and explanations. Watch the free video and see if it is for you.

Hi,

RR is what you use after you've seen Pathoma videos to nail down the details that Sattar skips over. He's much more into concepts and processes and light on details.

This is one of those times where it's not an either/or, it's both. Pathoma is like your pathology class, except 10 times better. He's straight, to the point and explains everything in a clear, concise manner. RR is what you use to get the stupid details down so that you don't miss a question when a question stem talks about an underlying detail about the condition.

Thanks for responding guys! I will keep the feedback in mind. Looks like Pathoma is something I can go to if I need a break down of a specific concept, whereas Goljan is all just jot notes and it's basically to review everything you already know.