Intensive summer anatomy course

Started by dlbruch
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dlbruch

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Could any of you share your experiences or impressions of the intensive summer anatomy course offered at Western U/COMP? Also, if you are from another school, but they have a similar program, your input would be appreciated. As I understand the program, the first semester of gross anatomy is offered to a select group of incoming students during the summer before year 1. Students passing the course (80%) are then utilized as teaching assistants in anatomy labs in the fall, but do not have to take the exams. Thanks for any responses.

------------------
Dan
Western U./COMP class of 2004
 
dlbruch,

Here is my 2 cents on anatomy. First off, if you are starting school next fall, why do you want to use up one of your only remaining summers in a Gross Lab?? Sencondly, if I was a student at Western U/COMP,I wouldn't want a TA who only got a 80%. I am a MSII at CCOM and our Gross Anatomy course shines above all other medical schools in the Chigago area. I tutor for gross at CCOM, The Chicago Med School(FINCH), and Northwestern, so I know how the other programs compare. All of our Labs are taught by 5 Ph.D's. We have about 100 students in the lab each session. That is a pretty good student/Ph.D ratio for a Lab course. Many schools in our area use MSIIs as TAs and only have one Ph.D in the lab during the session. At our University, the PT/OT and PA programs take Gross ove the summer and have MSIIs as TAs. The criteria to become a TA for their program is an Average above 90%, proven dissecting skills, and teaching expericence. It is highly competitive and only 6 positions are given out of over 80 applicants. I think it would be pretty bad for a medschool to use such a low standard to select TAs. I am sure that the ones who are selected do much better than the requirement, but I expect to get the highest quality for the money I am paying.
 
Dan,
I think for facilitators, you still need to take the exam for the Head and Neck part of anatomy. And don't forget the 60 bonus points! I might do the ISAC program. It definitely frees up a chunk of time that you can use toward other M1 courses.

------------------
DJ
WU Class of 2004!