Intensive summer anatomy course

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by dlbruch, Nov 4, 1999.

1. dlbruch

dlbruch Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Could any of you share your experiences or impressions of the intensive summer anatomy course offered at Western U/COMP? Also, if you are from another school, but they have a similar program, your input would be appreciated. As I understand the program, the first semester of gross anatomy is offered to a select group of incoming students during the summer before year 1. Students passing the course (80%) are then utilized as teaching assistants in anatomy labs in the fall, but do not have to take the exams. Thanks for any responses.

------------------
    Dan
    Western U./COMP class of 2004

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. doatc

doatc Senior Member

dlbruch,

Here is my 2 cents on anatomy. First off, if you are starting school next fall, why do you want to use up one of your only remaining summers in a Gross Lab?? Sencondly, if I was a student at Western U/COMP,I wouldn't want a TA who only got a 80%. I am a MSII at CCOM and our Gross Anatomy course shines above all other medical schools in the Chigago area. I tutor for gross at CCOM, The Chicago Med School(FINCH), and Northwestern, so I know how the other programs compare. All of our Labs are taught by 5 Ph.D's. We have about 100 students in the lab each session. That is a pretty good student/Ph.D ratio for a Lab course. Many schools in our area use MSIIs as TAs and only have one Ph.D in the lab during the session. At our University, the PT/OT and PA programs take Gross ove the summer and have MSIIs as TAs. The criteria to become a TA for their program is an Average above 90%, proven dissecting skills, and teaching expericence. It is highly competitive and only 6 positions are given out of over 80 applicants. I think it would be pretty bad for a medschool to use such a low standard to select TAs. I am sure that the ones who are selected do much better than the requirement, but I expect to get the highest quality for the money I am paying.

4. DJ

DJ Member

Dan,
    I think for facilitators, you still need to take the exam for the Head and Neck part of anatomy. And don't forget the 60 bonus points! I might do the ISAC program. It definitely frees up a chunk of time that you can use toward other M1 courses.

------------------
    DJ
    WU Class of 2004!